Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello and my background

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mbvpixies78

mbvpixies78

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hello to everyone out there,

I am just finishing a master in clinical counseling and am planning to enroll for a master in computer science. My ultimate goal is to enjoy my work and combine these two disciplines to create software for people with special needs as well as to do research involving data analysis/mining and warehousing. I'm also hoping to quickly get up to speed with creating web sites as I need to create one for my practice, which involves a background in Buddhist philosophy and meditation, existentialism, gestalt and of course, computers and how they can be utilized to better understand mental illnesses and provide treatment to augment the positive effects of traditional talk therapy. For example, a program simple enough for elders to use but to also to get their frontal lobes some exercise, especially critical to aging boomers and elderly with memory and executive function declines.

What I hope to get out of being on these forums is possibilities for networking-- I'm going to need all the help I can get in learning programming, even simply setting my computer up to do so. I'm checking out Eclipse with it's ability to understand the syntax of so many languages. If you have advice on other little programs or tools that will make my life easier as I earn my computer science degree, feel free to advise me!

I'm not only here for help. I want to help others. My skills are at a point where I have basic knowledge but as I continue to learn and grow, I hope to give back more than I get because I believe in online communities, especially since neighborhood communities seem all but extinct these days with hectic schedules and paces of life. If anyone could use advice on anything I've listed in my background, again, feel free to shoot me a message!

Thanks,

Danny
System: DIY-- Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard, Phenom 9950 2.6 GHz 4xcore processor, 8GB Kingston 800 RAM, Geforce 8500 GT, Windows 7 Professional, Firefox 3.6.12--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Welcome to BC!
Our Members will appreciate any help you can provide.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 mbvpixies78

mbvpixies78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

Thank you! :thumbsup: I hope to benefit and to benefit others here. Right now I could really use some help in better understanding PHP. Are there any primers or beginners' sites anyone would recommend? I'm trying to set up a forum and blog (phpBB and dasBlog) and could use help getting that project moving forward. Thanks for your help and warm welcomes.
System: DIY-- Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 motherboard, Phenom 9950 2.6 GHz 4xcore processor, 8GB Kingston 800 RAM, Geforce 8500 GT, Windows 7 Professional, Firefox 3.6.12--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users