Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RDP Slow across cross country connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ku2

ku2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hello,

I have a VPN connection (from SF to NY) over a 100 mb line to our colocated servers in NY.

we see intermittent slow downs in the RDP connection causing latency for the user and the situation is becoming unmanageable. sometimes it takes up to 15 seconds for mouse clicks to be acknowledged from the remote server.

We are running XP on client side and server 2003 for colocated servers.

Does anyone know about latency thru RDP or how to solve thru cross country connections? IF so, do you have a solution for me? I am told Citrix metaframe program will solve this but i do not know anything about the application.

Thanks in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:41 PM

Unless you have multiple users on RDP I doubt Citrix would help that much if at all. If it is only a single client connected acrossed the VPN then the only thing I know of to decrease latency would be to lower the settings for the desktop on the client machine. The thing that confuses me is there should not be a latency issue with one client connecting across that connection. Sounds more like some kind of issue with the connection.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 LikesIT

LikesIT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

You might want to check out Ericom Blaze, a software product that accelerates AND compresses standard Microsoft RDP, so it speeds RDP while conserving bandwidth. Blaze accelerates RDP performance by as much as 10-25 times, and helps deliver higher frame rates and reduce screen freezes and choppiness.

You can read more about Blaze and download a free evaluation at:
http://www.ericom.com/ericom_blaze.asp

Adam

#4 Richie Moore

Richie Moore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

Is the problem a new development or has it always been this way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users