Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can CHKDSK hang?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 acco_lite

acco_lite

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Over a year ago I started trying to run CHKDSK. It zooms thru task one verifying files. Then it creeps to 5% on verifying indexes and seems to hang up there. It never gives an error msg. It just sits on 5%. Iv'e let it sit like that for as long as 4 or 5 hours before choking the machine w/ the power button. If I knew that it was still running and would eventually finish, I would be happy to let it peacefully grind away. After a recent write error, XP again scheduled me for a CHKDSK session with the same result. Now DEFRAGMENTER won't run b/c the popup says "chkdsk is scheduled, run chkdsk". My HP dv2000t is about 5 yrs old but the HD is only about 2 yrs. I used a drive cloning kit to upgrade to a bigger 7200 rpm HD. So... How long can CHKDSK take? 8 hours? 12 hours? (gulp) Days? It seems like 5 hours is plenty of time to go from 5% to 6% done. The CHKDSK front end is so spectacularly uninformative that I end up feeling like a fool. I love troubleshooting and fiddling w/ stuff but this has got me stopped for the moment.
I've tried to run CHKDSK several ways; from the command prompt, from the run box, double clicking the .exe file in sys32, as well as the CHKDSK bootup prompt of course. I've even tried the disk check utility in Partition Magic. CHKDSK will run with no parameters and finish file and index verification smartly, even deleting a few index entries. But the /r parameter produces this (apparent) hang.
This seems to be similiar to the problem posted by "linlan" above. One of the responses to him was "let it run". My question is; how long?
Let's allow more ram than anyone will ever need, say, 640 kilobytes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

The time that it takes chkdsk /r to complete...is totally dependent on two variables:

a. The condition of your hard drive and file system.

b. The size of the partition on which the command is being performed.

If either your files system or your hard drive has problems...chkdsk /r may take an exceptional amount of time. I run chkdsk /r on 500GB partitions and it takes somewhere between 1 to 2 hours, I think...I don't monitor it. I've run on it drives with problems and I'm pretty sure that time doubled or tripled...before I realized that the drive was either beyond repair or needed reformatting.

If chkdsk /r does not/cannot complete...then you need to do a serious diagnostic on the drive, after writing down any error messages which chkdsk /r may present.

Above all else...when confronted with a known situation where the hard drive or file system may be a problem...move any valued data files from that drive as a first step. Then do the diagnostics.

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

Hi -
Backup the Registry:
Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.
  • Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
  • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.
  • Click on OK
  • Then click on YES to create the folder.
Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
  • Click Start and open My Computer
  • Right-click on C: and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
If you wish to use the code that I normally use - Start > RunBox > Close all programs > Click OK - It will restart and run -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 22 June 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#4 acco_lite

acco_lite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

Thanks noknojon,
latest update. I found a Hitachi travelstar 320 gig 7200 rpm drive on sale for $45 at Fry's and traded it into my laptop using a Apricorn clone kit.

The first time I started up after the upgrade, I got the chkdsk on startup that I was getting before. I cancelled it and verified that I seem to have all my programs and functions. Defrag still will not run b/c chkdsk is scheduled.

So I hit restart and let chkdsk start at about bedtime. Just like before, it sped thru stage 1, and took 15 or 20 seconds to get to 5% on stage 2, where it stayed until I went to bed. It is now 11 (eleven) hours later and stage 2 is still sitting on 5%. Not one pixel has moved. My current plan is to let it run 24 hours if it wants to, but I keep wondering, is it running or is it hung?
Let's allow more ram than anyone will ever need, say, 640 kilobytes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users