Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hard drive in my 4 year-old HP Pavilion computer recently began making scary noises. Perfectly quiet most of the time, then will start a noticeable whining sound for a few minutes then suddenly will sound like it's gone into hyper-drive...extremely loud high-pitched spinning noise. If left to do that, it quiets down in a minute or two, reverting back to the non-quiet but lower level whining sound. Computer otherwise seems OK. I'm not gaming or doing anything weird when this noise begins, usually word processing or surfing news sites. Only good news perhaps is that I just backed-up the entire thing on a WD Passport portable hard drive received as an early Father's day gift. Would appreciate any advice you can offer.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Thanks. Studying the link..will do tonight and report back.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

Louis:

Following instructions @ the link you provided, I discovered that I have a Hitachi HDT725032VLA389. Ran the appropriate Hitachi diagnostic and end result was this message: Operation Completed Successfully; Disposition Code 0x00. Which, I assume, means no problems discovered.

During the several hour-long test, the intermediate noise I spoke about occurred for long periods and the intense high-speed whining noise appeared once, lasting for about two minutes.

I think you're going to tell me that I have a mechanical problem, one that the diagnostic software isn't able to "see". It then follows that I'd be better off installing a new HD under my terms/timetable, rather than waiting for the catastrophic failure that's heading my way. Would very much appreciate your thoughts on this. To add to your burden, want you to know that this computer is essential to my 1099-type home-based work and my budget won't allow simply getting a new computer.

Thanks for the help so far, Bill.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I would tend to believe the results of the Hitachi DFT...while thinking that the hard drive is not the source of the noise.

I've had hard drives go bad before...none ever emitted a whining sound, the sound is more likely to the click of metal on metal, IME.

Let's see what others think :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

FWIW, the abnormal sounds have not appeared since running the diagnostic software. Can't explain it, but I'll accept the silence and give credit to hamluis.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Just a thought. IMHO I would also check the fans. They can also make this kind of noise. Make sure they are clean and running properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users