Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu and Squid

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lilblack94gt

lilblack94gt

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

I have searched the internet and haven't found any good directions for compiling Squid on an Ubuntu machine. I have also tried finding someone who already has a good filter already setup that I can copy their settings and then tweek from there.

I am trying to set up a web filter for a small network (at home). The network is all Windows XP pro installations for right now. I do have a spare machine that I will use with Ubuntu. Can anyone help me? I am not a big Linux/Unix user, so....

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Was there a specific reason that you wanted to compile squid proxy from scratch? If not it would be much easier to install it from the synaptic package manager (System->Administration->Synaptic Package manager .... search for squid). Then all you have to do is configure Squid to your liking. All you have to do is edit the squid.conf file. This file is usually located at: /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf
I'm not sure exactly what you're going for with your proxy, so I can't provide much help in configuring, but here are is a FAQ on squid
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/Confi...compiling_it.3F
NOTE:
If you do want to compile squid you could do it as follows.
unpack the source file with this command:
tar -xvzf squid-*-src.tar.gz
cd into the new directory
run the following in order:
./configure
make
make install

#3 lilblack94gt

lilblack94gt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

Thanks! I didn't know Squid was built in. I am trying to just get it configured to use to block unwanted sites and searches.

#4 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thanks! I didn't know Squid was built in. I am trying to just get it configured to use to block unwanted sites and searches.

This might help you out then:
http://www.labtestproject.com/linnet/squid...ck_address.html

#5 lilblack94gt

lilblack94gt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

Thanks!

#6 lilblack94gt

lilblack94gt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:03 AM

Another Stupid question, would I be better downloading the desktop version of ubuntu or the server version to run the squid web filter?

#7 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

For your particular application I'm not really sure that having the server edition would make a huge difference for you since you're only running it as a home proxy for a few computers. I don't see where there would really be any difference performance wise for the server edition compared to the desktop edition. If there is an advantage to it that I'm just not thinking of at the moment I'm sure someone else will chime in and say so though......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users