Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no Boot.ini tab

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

I just re-installed Windows XP Home on a Emachine EL1200. It istalled fine and runs fine. It's a bit slow in booting up , for being a fresh and new installation so I looked in MSCONFIG, to see what I might find. All the tabs across the top are there except " BOOT.INI". There is a tab for "General, SYSTEM.INI, WINI.INI, SERVICES, STARTUP and TOOLS", but no "BOOT.INI" tab. Is that ok ???
Any and all help is greatly appreciated !!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

What did you use...to reinstall the O/S?

What steps did you follow?

Louis

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hi Louis,
I used a standard Windows XP Installation disc that I have used to put Windows XP Home, on many computers. This is the 1rst time I've noticed this problem.
I also noticed that on the side of the computer, on the COA sticker it says that the system is a Windows XP Home Edition Nettops
I don't know if NETTOPS has anything to do with it ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Whats wierd is that everything works great ! It goes on the internet fine, all the drivers are there and working......after I put them there !

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

I'm going to install a fresh installation on this computer and start all over again. Do I delete ALL the partions on this computer of just the " unknown" one ?

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Nooooo...! Don't reinstall just yet.

No BOOT.INI tab usually means you have no c:\boot.ini file (for some reason). In a general single partition configuration, XP does not need a boot.ini file to boot anyway (it will complain) but still boot. (this is good to know, so if you ever suspect a problem with boot.ini, rename it and boot without one, then fix the original).

Using explorer, browse to c:\

Click Tools, Folder Options, View and:

enable Show hidden files and folders
uncheck Hide protected operating system files
uncheck Hide extensions for known file types

See if you have a c:\boot.ini file.

You can create one with a text editor (or other methods), here is an example:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

If you reboot and your new c:\boot.ini disappears, we have seen that before too.

Edited by joseibarra, 22 June 2010 - 01:42 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

I didn't think anyone was gonna replay soooooooooo,
I went ahead and started a reinstallation. BUT, if I don't see the BOOT.INI tab again, I'll know what to do. I'm sorry for my impatience . I've been without this computer for a while now and needed it to run again.
I got nervous when I didn't see the BOOT.INI tab and figured that I would have problem down the road. I'm very sorry for being impatient !!!!
I will keep this open till this evening , when I should be done with the new installation. Thanks for working with me and being forgiving.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

No need to worry. I was typing quickly as soon as I saw your issue, but I was only a few hours late.

I'll bet your reinstallation will go just fine.

There once was an issue some time ago with the Ask Toolbar add-on (or whatever it is) deleting the c:\boot.ini and a few other things, but that was a while ago and maybe they have since fixed it. That would be where I was heading if your new boot.ini disappeared on a reboot.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for your kindness ! I will post a reply when I get the installation finished . Thanks agin !

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:55 PM

Here is what I did. I reinstalled Windows on the 2nd partition and now everything is normal again. I guess that maybe it just didn't install the 1rst time ?!?!?!?!? I want to thank everyone who helped me !!! I'm truely greatful for those that are here to help !!!

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Good job.

Sounds like you got that installing XP thing down pretty good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users