Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Error Message when trying to select Dell wireless network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NSXBill

NSXBill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:48 AM

Dell laptop (purchased in 2007) with Windows XP and Office Pro 2003, Avast has been run, and a Spyware destroyer has been run.

This laptop got quite messed up with a virus(s) several months ago. I had someone work on it and they restored it and installed free Avast and a Spyware destroyer. Seems to run well, except when I try to access wireless. Works well wired and also works ok wireless, but I cannot CHANGE or SELECT a different wireless network or wireless source. It connects automatically to one in our neighborhood. When we first traveled with it after having it worked on is when we discovered we could not connect or select wireless and get this error message.

It gives the following error box:

Title: "Wireless Configuration"
It has the standard white X in red circle

The Wireless control application was unable to start
a subprocess. The target application was
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\BCMWLCPL.CPL,,{030CD70D-6473-4630-8011-202DC0FF1260},1".

OK button at bottom

Attached File  error_message.png   10.2KB   16 downloads

I think, because it is a Dell, that it is defaulted to a Dell wireless control application instead of the Windows one? I have a Dell laptop at work also, and I select wireless networks the same way: we turn the Wi-Fi button on and then double click the little icon in the quick launch task bar that looks like a bar graph (as opposed to the icon of a little pc that is radiating). As an aside, on my work Dell, this icon is different - it is a small box with arcs radiating upward on my laptop.

I do like the way this usually works and we are all used to it, but this Dell laptop is no longer working like it used to and is displaying the noted error and not allowing us to connect freely to wireless.

Thanks in advance for any help and remember, I am clueless, so please speak like you are talking to someone who is computer-illiterate. 

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by NSXBill, 21 June 2010 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

first thing i would try is to reinstall your drivers for your wireless. Or look for updated drivers. You can usually check the manufacturers homepage, Dell in your case, and get drivers for the product.

#3 NSXBill

NSXBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

OK, I'm not sure I know how to do that (reinstall drivers for my wireless), but I can look at the Dell site and see....thanks. Any other hints?

#4 NSXBill

NSXBill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:46 AM

UPDATE: I reloaded the wireless driver from Dell.com and still have the same problem. However, I have discovered the problem is affecting more than just my wireless. It appears that something is missing (from when Windows was reloaded?). I am getting a slightly different message, but one that appears to be looking for the same thing when I try to open add/delete programs and other applications in the Control Panel. The message in the text box says:

Windows cannot find C\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button and then click Search.

I also get this message when I simply try to change the clock setting from military to standard time, so something is definitely missing here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users