Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hackers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 johndel

johndel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

My computer was hacked into. My Credit Card details stolen, Barclaycard Vista informed me (after the event) that I had spent 13,000 in Rome which was over my limit. My credit card has never been used outside (I don't even know the pin number) it has only been used on the internet (Amazon etc) Usually Vista phones if you use it three days in a row and you either confirm or not. This time they let whoever it was remove 200 euros per day Sixty times, without querying anything. I've not flown abroad for over 15 years. How can I find out if my computer has been hacked into. NORTON assured me can't happen. But happen it has. Vista is my operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

If you were the victim of an Internet scam, fraud, hacking or identity theft, you should disconnect the computer from the Internet and from any networked computers until it is cleaned. If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and any online activities which require a username and password. You should consider them to be compromised and change each password using a clean computer, not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified immediately immediately of the possible security breach and you should file a report with your local law enforcement agency. Failure to notify your financial institution and local law enforcement can result in the refusing to reimburse funds lost due to fraud and similar criminal activity. For more detailed instructions as to what you should do, please read:

NORTON assured me can't happen. But happen it has.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Supplement your anti-virus by performing scans with trustworthy security tools like:You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan like like:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users