Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer slow to open folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tpr

tpr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

Hi

Weird thing just happened on my laptop.

My hard drive has a c: partition and the d: partition. On c:, there's just my Vista install (family, 32b), while on D:, there's all my files: some videos, my mp3 collection, and my databank of pictures, that i'm using for work.

My comp is clean (i've checked with a full array of antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and so on).

Up until two days ago, I had no problem using windows explorer to browse through my files. Even when the folder was huge (my picture collection amounts to 30G of data, and about 900 folders), explorer did its job relatively diligently, at least as far as Vista goes.

Yet, two days ago, while closing a photo opened in windows Vista's standard picture viewer, explorer crashed, and restarted.

The log gave me an error ID 1000, with, in french (cos i'm french)

Application défaillante Explorer.EXE, version 6.0.6000.16386, horodatage 0x4549b091, module défaillant ntdll.dll, version 6.0.6000.16386, horodatage 0x4549bdc9, code d’exception 0xc0000374, décalage d’erreur 0x000af1c9, ID du processus 0x690, heure de début de l’application 0x01cb10045424c923.

And then, some time later, i noticed that explorer started lagging when opening some of my folders.

It doesn't lag a lot, just a second or two, and never on my biggest folders : my mp3 folder or my movies folder open just fine, but when I double-click on my image folder, there's at least 50% chance it's gonna lag (without any green bar on top, just the green circle mouse indicator thingy).

Which is kinda annoying, and happens at random even while browsing my image subfolders.

Meanwhile, when browsing via the explorer folder tree, at the left of the screen, or via the explorer/browser of other software (photoshop, or firefox, for instance), it never lags a bit.

So I tried with or without the indexing, with or without the thumbnails, I tried changing the display options of the folders and subfolders, I defragged, scandisked, all the usual solutions, in fact, and everything else i could find on the web, but nothing.

It still lags, even when Windows is the only thing running on my comp.

(weirdest thing is: Sometimes it won't lag for a few minutes, i'll browse my pics normally, and then, after a visit to another folder - let's say mp3 - it starts lagging again, as if the computer had to rescan part or all of the picture folder every time i come back to it after i leave)

Any suggestions ?

Edited by tpr, 21 June 2010 - 04:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:05 AM

1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
2) Type and hit enter:
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
Restart computer

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users