Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost internet connection after sleep

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

Although working fine most of the time, occasionally we are losing our internet connection.
It seems to happen after the computer takes itself into sleep mode (and not if you sleep it manually).

The symptom is that the network connection icon is no longer "two monitors and a globe", but is now just "two monitors". (It does NOT have a red cross on it.)

Selecting "Diagnose and repair" (after 'diagnosing' progress bar) brings up a Windows Network Diagnostics popup that says:

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server (192.168.0.1)
Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response.
Reset the network adapter "Local Area Connection"
Resetting the adapter can sometimes resolve an intermittent problem.

Selecting the "Reset..." control (after 'repairing' progress bar) brings up another popup that says:

The problem has been resolved.

Following which the 'globe' reappears on the tooltray icon and normal service is resumed.

This recovery seems to work 95% of the time -- the remaining times requiring a router reboot. (Also, very rarely, the same problem seems to happen without going through 'sleep', but this may be a red herring...so I'll worry about it when the main issue is fixed, if it still happens!)

While this problem exists, normal internet service remains available to two laptops connected via the same router -- one via cable, one via wireless. (The PC is also connected by Ethernet cable.)

The PC is a DELL Dimension E520 running Vista Ultimate. This is a relatively new install (one month?) on a fresh hard drive. We were getting the same problem before the reinstallation, but there were other issues that were clouding the issue. For the first 2-3 weeks after installation it seemed to be OK until I added multiple user accounts -- while running as a single admin user I don't remember the problem happening. Again, this latter 'symptom' may be a red herring also.

Any ideas, please? It is a real problem for the other users of the PC as recovery requires admin access.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:35 AM

I would try changing ethernet cables on the ones that are wired, as they could be slightly damaged.

Edited by cryptodan, 22 June 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Before the hard disk failure (when I discovered Bleeping Computer!) I was discussing this problem on a different (not computer-specific) forum and cable swapping was suggested there (by several people!) -- we didn't get to the root of the problem.

I tried swapping the cables then, and there was no obvious difference: whichever cable was used, the laptop was OK, and the desktop would (eventually) lose its connection. Unfortunately I only have the two cables to play with. Also, I don't understand how a dodgy cable might behave in this way

The Router is also fairly new -- 2-3 months ago we swapped from ADSL Broadband (where all the PCs were connected via wireless link) to cable broadband, requiring a new modem and separate router.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

Hi D808Centaur,

Try THIS.

#5 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:54 AM

Isn't it good that YouTube is now being used for useful stuff, not just pop videos, silly stunts and accidents?

I'm not near the PC now, but I will double-double-check that setting tonight.

When the guy from Virgin Cable came to re-configure the PC for their broadband (a few months ago), he (eventually) found the setting and that it was still enabled, and disabled it, as the network card was having difficulty connecting at the time. I thought that I had already disabled it, having re-built the machine, but it would certainly explain the issue.

A colleague in my IT department suggested modifying the sleep settings so that only the hard disk and display were allowed to sleep, since the other settings were more intended for laptops. Essentially this meant selecting the 'Performance' (name TBA) power-saving setting. However, since doing this the computer has been in use too often to go to sleep, so I don't know whether this has fixed it or not.

#6 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hi D808Centaur,

Try THIS.

Thanks for the link. I've been putting up with the same problem for a year. Since this is my first computer I thought that waiting around for a few minutes for my internet to kick in was normal.

Edited by Bezukhov, 24 June 2010 - 07:53 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#7 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:53 PM

I'm not near the PC now, but I will double-double-check that setting tonight.

As I thought, it is already disabled.

A colleague in my IT department suggested modifying the sleep settings so that only the hard disk and display were allowed to sleep, since the other settings were more intended for laptops. Essentially this meant selecting the 'Performance' (name TBA) power-saving setting. However, since doing this the computer has been in use too often to go to sleep, so I don't know whether this has fixed it or not.

This is Control Panel->Power Options->"High Performance", where only the display/hard disk go to sleep after 20 mins.

Unfortunately, it is still happening occasionally -- mostly when my wife is logged-in to her account (which is another admin account like mine). Don't remember it happening to me recently.

Any more ideas?

Edited by D808Centaur, 28 June 2010 - 04:54 PM.

#8 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

While researching this problem, I found these other two threads that reported similar-sounding faults, although neither were properly resolved:
* Network adapter keeps "turning off"
* Internet Disconnect

The second one suggested disabling the DHCP Broadcast flag (and provides a link to the Microsoft site where a 'FixIt' is provided). This is to fix a problem:

This issue occurs because of a difference in design between Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Specifically, in Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some routers and some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot process the DHCP discovery packets.

So, I have downloaded and run the fixit, and we'll see what happens, although I don't hold out much hope as the router is three years newer than the computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users