Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggested softwares to keep running

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbtechie

sbtechie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:53 AM

Hello,

I am running Windows XP on Pentium dual core 2.5 GHz with 3 GB of RAM. I am already running Symantec anti-virus software as my default tool. I would like to know your suggestions on which other anti-spyware/anti-malware/firewall tools I should keep running in background in combination with Symantec ? This is just on everyday basis to prevent spywares/viruses/malwares from creeping in.

While not compromising on security, I would like to mention that I don't want too many programs either to hog resources from normal computer work.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arknaz

arknaz

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Spyware blaster does some realtime blocking i believe.
Also SUPERANTISPYWARE is good for finding spyware (do short scan daily/few times a week, full scan at least once a month-There are portable versions on the website if you are short on space or want it for others).
Malwarebytes Good tool to remove a lot of forms of malware

With those 3 + my comodo AV i can usually remove anything that i get.

Those are all free too so its good

-Scott

Edited by arknaz, 21 June 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Samsung Chromebook +
  • Intel i5-2500K 3.3Ghz - Replaced with I7 3770k 3.5Ghz
  • 80G SSD, 640G/1TB/3TB Sata  
  • Palit GTX560 TI 2GB 
  • 16g G.Skill Sniper DDR3

#3 prashantrana

prashantrana

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

I would say you should get Norton Internet Security 2010 (Paid) it has firewall, browser protection, etc. , you are using norton anyhow, so just upgrade. Norton has really improved a lot in the last 2-3 years. I haven't used any other software apart from that and my computer has been quite virus proof. You can disable any feature you don't want so its quite customizable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users