Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformating Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie

splackavellie

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:40 PM

ok i just reformatted my harddrive and partitioned it (C: with 20G and D: with 40G). everything seems to be fine except for 2 things.

1) i seem to be missing drivers for "PCI Simple Communications Controller." i dont know what that is and no idea what driver i need for that. i though i had downloaded and installed all the drivers i needed from the dell's support site.

2)on boot-up, it asks me to choose an XP system. if i dont choosem it defaults to the first one (i think). i know i only have 1 OS and i installed it on the C: drive. just want to know if i can get rid if this and how. i was reading something about a boot.ini file and couldnt really understand it. didnt wanna do something that could totally mess up my comp. but this is my boot.ini file

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

oh and its a Dell Latitude D610 w/ XP Home SP2

Edited by splackavellie, 12 October 2005 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

How did you reformat and repartition your hard drive? Was it using the Dell supplied OEM disks?

From your boot.ini file - there's a copy of XPHome on each partition. See this article to remove the copy on the D:\ partition: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q303661/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:19 PM

hmm..according to that article i cant remove XP

"Note If you upgraded from Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0, you cannot remove Windows XP."

so am i stuck with this multiple bot up screen?

yeah i used the XP home disk that came with my D610. but i downloaded all the drivers from their website. from my understanding the latitudes get the retail version on XP while inspiron gets the OEM version. dont know if that makes any difference in this case though.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:28 PM

hmm..according to that article i cant remove XP

"Note If you upgraded from Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0, you cannot remove Windows XP."

so am i stuck with this multiple bot up screen?

yeah i used the XP home disk that came with my D610. but i downloaded all the drivers from their website. from my understanding the latitudes get the retail version on XP while inspiron gets the OEM version. dont know if that makes any difference in this case though.

It's only an upgrade if you had another Windows op system and updated it to Windows XP, which is not what you did.

You used the Dell Restore disk and should be able to remove whatever you put on the second partition.
You can always just reformat D drive.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 October 2005 - 09:29 PM.

#5 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

theres nothing in my d: drive for now...totally empty. in fact when i tried to open it, it told me to format it first. so yeah how do i remove something that is not there?

i was reading something about just deleting the extra line in my boot.ini file. can i just do that? or is that really bad?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:53 AM

There is no difference between a retail full version (not an upgrade) and an oem version except the box it comes in, whether or not it comes with a service manual, and which company will support it - the oem (original equipment manufacturer like Dell) or Microsoft.

So what disk do you have? An upgrade or a full install version - either oem or Microsoft retail, or do you have a restore disk?

A restore disk is different. It is not an upgrade but it has been modified to install whatever software (programs, drivers, etc) came on the computer when it was new in addition to the operating system. It can and usually does have additional proprietary oem software added. Its purpose is to "reset" the computer to be exactly as it was when it was new. If you have added lots of programs and/or hardware you will have to download updated drivers for anything that isn't on the restore disk.

Some manufacturers do not even give you a disk of any kind anymore but place the data involved on another virtual partition in your computer.

When you "reinstalled", did you fdisk or reformat drive C and attempt to do a clean install, or did you just run the disk over the then current version you had?

I am hesitant to advise you to change anything in the registry (being less skilled than I would like to admit in writing to the registry).

Wait for one of our more expert registry hackers to advise you before you do so.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 October 2005 - 02:03 AM.

#7 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

Simply select this line from the boot ini and press delete.
"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect"
If it will not allow you then go into Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management and right click D then click Format.

#8 splackavellie

splackavellie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:39 PM

Enthusiast...i have the full version. and when reinstalled, i reformated the c: drive. i had 1 big (60GB) drive before and i wanted to have to 2 smaller (20GB and 40GB) drives.
as far as oem vs retail, wont the oem allow me to install it on dell computers only? i know it doesnt really matter in this case.

thanks wolfeymole...that did the trick.

ps. that wolf looks like it slows down then speeds up again. or maybe its just me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users