Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp profesional problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 abimael21

abimael21

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

[color="#0000FF"]hey guys :flowers:

i was given a computer which is a windows xp professional on a HP monitor optiplex GX110.

before it was given to me it had a virus, and i took care of it with a system restore and it worked well 3 days later the person who gave to me told me the computer had a virus on it so i checked and it was "defense center"

so he gave to me and told me to keep it, well i ran SUPERAntiSpyware and Malware bytes...
and i restarted and than when i tried to open something it asked me what do i want it to open with?
and a day later or so the icons and taskbar disapeared from the screen i tried almost everything and nothing :thumbsup:

i dont have the instalation cd nor does he so am running out of ideas.

can anyone help me?

Edited by abimael21, 20 June 2010 - 10:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:54 PM

Yes In this case your options are minimal..

1)Install a O.E.M. of X.p and run a chkdsk /r
in the "REPAIR" console. (MAKE SURE ITS IN THE REPAIR MODE)

2) That should fix windows errors however if that does not work I will consider you to reinstall the O.S. brand new.

3)You can also use Linux Operating system if you do not want to spend the extra $ on the O.S.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:55 AM

Worth reading, BC Removal Guide, Defense Center.

I will move this thread to the BC Am I Infected forum, where someone will attempt to assist you.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users