Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Site Adviser doing something odd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

( Widows XP , SP2)
First let me say that my computer is running fine. Just something odd with SiteAdvisor
Recently I renewed my McAfee subscription. I had it free through Comcast. Comcast dropped MacAfee in favor or Norton. McAfee continued my subscription free for a short period. Last week I was notified it had expired so I renewed the subscription. $20.00 for 2 years. During the process and under the guidance of McAfee all old programs were removed. Then the new version installed. A bit nervous as there was a short period of time , 20- 30 Min. when I had no firewall or other protection.. Part of the new package included SiteAdvisor ( 2.8)
After installation of all MacAfee products I reset the Firewall to “Standard”. I then thought it wise to scan with MBAM. This found 2 items. I think these might have had something to do with installing MacAfee and were not necessarily malicious.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Ran MB again and found nothing. After this I did SAS Full scan and found just 1 tracking cookie.

Now the odd stuff. When I go to my Firefox homepage or other certain web pages like Drudge or Yahoo the SiteAdvisor box in the lower right is grayed out. If I do a search in Google I still get all the check marks next to search results just like I am suppose to.
If I go to Bleeping Computers, National Weather Service and others the SiteAdvisor box in the lower right is green.
I use SiteAdvisor as a check when I am searching. I really have no use for it once I am on a site so the fact that the tool bar box is gray or green is no problem but I do find it odd. Unless this is some symptom of some heinous infection I am content to leave it as it is. Would appreciate input and comment from my Bleeping Comrades.
Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

As suspected, the registry items have to do with McAfee shutting down the Windows firewall, and notations that the firewall is down.

You might check your Firefox add-ons to see if there is something conflicting with Site Adviser.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Hi Blathnat July 16, 2010
Thanks for your response. Well as often happens with these thinks about 2-3 weeks ago SiteAdvisor just started showing green again in the tool bar for all sites that have green checks. May be an update came through from McAfee. I don’t know how the latest SiteAdvisor will be but with earlier versions it seems to be a delicate little program that easily tripped itself up.
Anyway , thanks again for your response. All seems well for know. :thumbsup:
Regards
Nawtheasta
P.S. I assume since I have McAfee installed and it indicates I have Firewall protection that Windows firewall is simply redundant and not necessary for me to be concerned with. If my thinking is wrong on this I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users