Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a data recovery program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 41woodie

41woodie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:44 PM

Still cleaning up after an infection by AntiVirus Soft and subsequent Restore & Recovery. I downloaded Recover My Files which shows up approximately 15,000 files that were inaccessible after the Restore. My question is for anyone who has experience with recovery programs. When these programs find and restore data what form is it in? The programs state that the data should be saved to a different drive than the one being searched, is the recovered information just raw data or what. As an example if you were trying to restore Quicken would the Quicken program be restored with the data in place and intact or just the raw numbers. In particular what I'm trying to restore is the program Family Tree Maker, I can find the raw information i.e. photos, etc. but what I want is the program operating with names, dates, photos etc as entered in the program.
I would appreciate any thoughts or advice, thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

A recovery program will attempt to recover files that have previously existed on the drive. Any that can be recovered will simply be placed on the recovery drive as a bunch of files, you won't be able to re-install programs for example. All except very simple programs have to be installed into Windows, set up with registry entries etc by the program's installer, so need to be re-installed from the original media.

When you try to do the recovery after a system restoration, it's also possible that some of the files you want may have been corrupted by being overwritten during the restore. If that has happened to a file, when recovered it will be no good.

For a recovery of Quicken, you would have to set up Quicken again on the recovered system, then you would need to have recovered a good .QBW file and copy it across. You could avoid this if you had a Quicken backup on other media, you could restore the backup into the fresh installation of Quicken.

I have no experience of how Family Tree Maker manages its database, but the principle is the same. If you recover the data file(s) it uses, re-install the program from the original installation media, and copy the recovered data file(s) back to the folder(s) they were in before. If the program accepts this state of affairs, it will function as before. If the program fails to recognise the files restored this way, it may only be possible to restore from its own backup. Then if you haven't been making backups stored on alternative media, you could be sunk...

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 41woodie

41woodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

Well you didn't tell me what I really wanted to hear but I was afraid that would be the case. This all started with an infection of AntiSpyware Soft, I'd really like to wrap my hands around the neck of whoever created that mess. Thanks for your assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users