Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DSL Anomaly - Can someone provide a technical explanation?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

System: Verizon DSL, 1Mbps service
Computer: Windows XP Home Edition, SP #3

Can someone explain technically the difference between the two scenarios?

Scenario #1: I turn on my DSL modem, then immdeiately boot the computer. The reliability of this connection will be poor with the DSL modem losing its connection to the Internet every 5-15 minutes.

Scenario #2: I turn on my DSL modem at least 30 to 60 minutes prior to booting the computer. The reliability of this Internet connection will be very good with the DSL modem staying connected and rarely losing its connection to the Internet over several hours.

Why does scenario #2 make a difference?

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Have you only been using the one modem all the time? If so can you get to try a different modem somehow?

I'd suspect your modem might have some bad capacitors and is really struggling when first powered up. It improves when warmed up, but you say after up to an hour of pre-activation it still occasionally loses the connection? That sounds like it never gets up to 100% reliable operation.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

Have you only been using the one modem all the time? If so can you get to try a different modem somehow?

I'd suspect your modem might have some bad capacitors and is really struggling when first powered up. It improves when warmed up, but you say after up to an hour of pre-activation it still occasionally loses the connection? That sounds like it never gets up to 100% reliable operation.

I only have the one modem. I have tried getting a new modem from Verizon, but that's like trying to squeeze water from a stone.
BUT - I do like the thought of bad capacitors. I will try that on Verizon and see if they will give me a new modem. Thanks.

Any other thoughts folks?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Well, I just leave my modem (2Wire on AT&T) on all the time, unless I'm gone for a few days or longer.

But if I have it turned off and my computer on, I just have to wait about 5 minutes for it to get a connection, then all is well.

I can't really explain why yours is doing what it is doing. Bad capacitors might seem more likely to me if it failed all the time...but it doesn't. Only if both are turned on simultaneously.

Personally, I don't see any reason to turn off a modem if you use your computer everyday.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Well, I just leave my modem (2Wire on AT&T) on all the time, unless I'm gone for a few days or longer.

But if I have it turned off and my computer on, I just have to wait about 5 minutes for it to get a connection, then all is well.

I can't really explain why yours is doing what it is doing. Bad capacitors might seem more likely to me if it failed all the time...but it doesn't. Only if both are turned on simultaneously.

Personally, I don't see any reason to turn off a modem if you use your computer everyday.

I don't use my home computer every day. I can go several days without touching it. I use computers at work so have no need for my home computer every day.

BTW - I send email to Verizon support asking for a new modem. Will let this forum know how this works out.

#6 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:17 AM

This may not apply here, but if its from Verizon it may be checking for updates every time its turned on. Although it shouldn't take 30+ minutes to check and/or download, its possible something is hanging in it during the process.

#7 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Well, I received a new model (Westell 6100G) from Verizon. The new one is version G while my old one is version E. So far the new modem works as one would expect from a DSL modem. I'll give it two weeks or so, then update this thread.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:19 AM

Here is just a thought. While you are waiting to see what happens with your modem check and see the type and condition of the wiring from the box that Verizon is hooked into from the phone lines to your building to your outlet where you plug your modem into. Some of these wires and connections are over 20 years old. I replaced mine with the most up to date cable and a whole new world to DSL opened up. I made sure that nothing else shared this line, no other phones ect. Nothing.

#9 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verizon supplied a new Westell6100G modem, This one is version G, my previous was version E. Now my connection NEVER goes down. Hooray.

My conclusion? Verizon sucks!! I wonder if Frontier will be any better?

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

Glad it's sorted for you, although I would have thought it was your old modem that sucked... :thumbsup:

Now my connection NEVER goes down.

I wonder if Frontier will be any better?

What, better than 100% up?

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users