Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 3 problems with network connection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 AdamND

AdamND

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

I downloaded Service Pack 3 for my windows XP home office edition and after the reboot my network connection wasnt working and I am unable to connect to the internet on my main computer.

MS support site said to try uninstalling service pack 3 which I did and then reverted back to service pack 2. After the reboot I am still unable to connect to the internet.

I tried to do a system restore to a date 3 days before I downloaded SP3 but the system restore failed.

Is there anyway to fix this because I need to use the internet on my main computer.

Should I try another system restore but go back farther??? I'm a bit concerned that I was able to do a system restore.

Is there a way to fix it without the net since I cannot download anyting from the net??

I'm not a huge computer expert so please try to walk me through this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Make sure, your computer is set to obtain IP address automatically.
1. Go Start>Settings>Control Panel (Vista/7 users: Start>Control Panel)
2. Double click Network Connections (Vista/7 users: Network and Sharing Center)
3. Vista/7 users - From the list of tasks on the left, click Manage network connections.
4. For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.
5. From the General tab (Vista/7 users: Networking tab), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties
6. Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

If that doesn't work...
Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
Reconnect everything.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

I can no longer boot my computer in safe mode with networking. It just stays black.

If I do your fixes and they don't work will it have a negative impact on my computer?

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Can you boot at all in any mode?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

Can you boot at all in any mode?

I can start up my computer normally with no problem but it doesnt boot in safe mode. I get to that black window with the "safe mode" written on it and it just sits there black with those letters.

this is what I've done so far to fix it:

1. uninstall SP3 didnt work
2. unplugged everything and let it set for 5 min then reboot. didnt work
3. I tried this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951446 didn't work because my fire wall thing isnt working
4. I've tried typing run > cmd > ipconfig /renew didn't work
5. I've called my isp and he walked me through setting up the connections and I'm fine.

I'm worried that when I did 3 and 4 I might have screwed something up because my computer seemed to take longer to boot up.

safe mode worked this morning but I wonder if SP3 did something to it.when I did #3 I got the message:

Windows Firewall/Internet Connect sharing ICS on Local Computer
Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

I'm glad to see your internet connection problem solved :thumbsup:

As for safe mode...

Download SafeBootKeyRepair by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click SafeBootKeyRepair.exeto run it.
Follow any prompts that may appear then post the log it produces.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:38 PM

I'm glad to see your internet connection problem solved :thumbsup:

As for safe mode...

Download SafeBootKeyRepair by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click SafeBootKeyRepair.exeto run it.
Follow any prompts that may appear then post the log it produces.

its not fixed still doesnt work the isp guy said that its set up ok but it doesnt work

Edited by AdamND, 20 June 2010 - 11:39 PM.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

Are you sure, your computer is malware free?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

Are you sure, your computer is malware free?

I did a safe mode malware byte scan this morning and found a few things as i posted before I have this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/325672/infected-with-av-security-suite-malewarevirus/ I cleaned them up and booted the system normally and every was fine. I booted it twice and everything worked fine.

I thought for saftey reason that I would update windows because SP3 was supposed to be a lot safer. I loaded SP3 and when I booted up my system my internet didn't work. I googled it on another computer and sites said that SP3 can be buggy and that uninstalling it can fix any bugs. So I uninstalled it and reverted back to SP2 and after the reboot back to SP2 I was still unable to log onto the internet.

I also did 3 systems restores to back ups from 1 month ago and it says that it failed because there wasnt anything to revert

I just finished a malewarebytes scan and it says that I'm clean.

Edited by AdamND, 20 June 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:52 PM

I want you to wait for a reply in malware forum and we'll see what will happen, when your computer is declared clean.
Malwares will often disable safe mode.

Also, your computer being possibly infected, would most likely create your issues after SP3 installation.
Any major updates, like service packs, should be applied only on perfectly clean computers.

Good luck in malware forum :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:01 AM

I want you to wait for a reply in malware forum and we'll see what will happen, when your computer is declared clean.
Malwares will often disable safe mode.

Also, your computer being possibly infected, would most likely create your issues after SP3 installation.
Any major updates, like service packs, should be applied only on perfectly clean computers.

Good luck in malware forum :thumbsup:

they keep on moving my topic to a different board that gets no traffic. so I doubt that anyone will help me.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

It looks like you posted in a wrong forum first.
Someone will get there.
Making sure, your computer is clean is the very first priority.
We can't really touch anything before you got fixed up in malware forum.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 AdamND

AdamND
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:19 AM

It looks like you posted in a wrong forum first.
Someone will get there.
Making sure, your computer is clean is the very first priority.
We can't really touch anything before you got fixed up in malware forum.

I did manage to get it going in safe mode just had to let it sit for a min or 4. I might try another scan

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:25 AM

Now that your log is properly posted (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic325672.html), you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MR Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users