Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to communicate with any sort of out remote host? Weird problem..

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 trustandfall

trustandfall

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

A couple days ago I ran into the asam.exe virus. I read a tutorial on how to stop the process, and what changes to make to the registry to get rid of it, and all seemed well.

However, I've noticed many strange things since then.

The most major problem that I have is that I now cannot communicate with many "patching" programs. I play quite a few online games that require you to run a patcher before player, and all of them are hanging or giving me a "cannot connect to remote host" error when they attempt to pull up the patch information they're trying to get.

Most of the companies have forums that say this is due to a firewall interfering with the launcher/patcher program. I know for a fact I have my firewall completely disabled though (Windows Firewall is the only thing I have on my computer), so I'm assuming that the asam.exe, or some other virus, put up a firewall like design on my computer.

I have further reason to believe this may be the case as I also have a gadget in vista that used to give me a live news feed everyday, updating itself with new headlines. However, it hasn't updated itself since May 30th, and I'm suspecting the 2 things are related.

I have AVG anti-virus 9.0, and doing a complete system scan with AVG 9, and its updated definitions, shows a clean system.

One more thing. Now, everytime I start my computer, an error box pops up saying that Microsoft .Net Framework cannot reach local host 127.0.0.1:500.

Again, I assume all these things are related as they all started around the same time. Please let me know what direction I should take. Thanks!

EDIT: Well, after deleting/reinstalling multiple programs and what not all night last night, I seem to have fixed the problem within 10 minutes today. I don't know what exactly did it, but I enabled Windows Firewall and added exceptions for all these programs. I also deleted .net framework 1.1, then reinstalled it as well as a .net framework 1.1 hotpatch, and all is well.

The gadget still isn't updating but my online games are all running correctly now!

Edited by trustandfall, 20 June 2010 - 05:16 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted and prep. guide not followed. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users