Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ComboFix Cured My Infection!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlanDrabke

AlanDrabke

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

I went to a file conversion site planning on converting a tiff graphics file format illustration to the pdf format. When I downloaded the pdf out on my e-mail in box my computer (A Hewlett Packard Compaq dc 5800 running Windows XP Pro) was overwhelmed by a particularly virulent strain of malware. I lost my internet connection and I could not start any of my programs off the icons on my desktop.

In desperation I searched the internet on my lap top and found a link to ComboFix. I downloaded it, moved it to a compact disc, and then transferred it to the desktop of my desktop. To install ComboFix I had to hit the install button before the malware took root in my system tray. Sort of like being in safe mode. Anyway, it worked! Couple hours later and my desktop was back in business as though nothing happened. Global Mod edit: ComboFix logs cannot be discussed outside of our malware forum.

Please see Blade's post below. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. rigel

Edited by rigel, 20 June 2010 - 05:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:15 PM

Hello.

I am glad you got your problem sorted. However, for the benefit of both you and everyone else reading this thread, please be aware of the following:

ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for personal, unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without trained assistance, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

You may find this topic to be informative - ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

Hi guys,
Blade, maybe you'll have some input on this, but having to try to read images is a little difficult with a screen reader. I use JAWS, and it can only read text-based screens. So, if one of the mods here could possibly take that text out of image format and present a live link to it that is readable by all, including the blind?

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

Hello chromebuster.

I'm actually a mod of the forum, and thank you for bringing my attention to this need. I will gladly transcribe the text of the image for you.

beginning transcription. . .

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY ON SOFTWARE

The following websites are not in any way affiliated to ComboFix:

http://www.combofix.org/
http://www.combofixdownload.com/

If you have purchased anything from them, I suggest you instruct your financiers to cancel the transaction.

------------------ ---------------

A guide on proper ComboFix usage may be found at:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

ComboFix is meant for private use. It should never be used in an unsupervised environment. If infections are found, it will automatically reboot the machine to complete the removal process. Please ensure all opened windows are closed before proceeding.

This software is provided 'as is', without warranty of any kind. All implied warranties are expressly disclaimed. If you do not agree to the above terms, please click No to exit

. . . end transcription

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 30 June 2010 - 12:09 AM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users