Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup items

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

I'm looking at msconfig atm and I'm seeing some programs I do not recognize. I read the Startup List here but I'm not really sure if I still need them.

Adobe Gamma
ctfmon
hkcmd
igfxtray

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Adobe Gamma
ctfmon
hkcmd
igfxtray
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

I read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q282599/
and it said

Removing the Ctfmon.exe might cause problematic behavior in your Office XP programs, so removing it is not recommended. To prevent Ctfmon.exe from running, follow these steps.

Is this true?

And for hkcmd, will whatever device it is being controlled by still work after disabling it?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Apparently but only if you have Office XP installed

Hkcmd is a hot key command for your display driver. It can be disabled in the display properties in control panel.
I forget exactly how it is phrased but I think theres a check box somewhere that says enable hot heys or something like that.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 BrainyTehBrain

BrainyTehBrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

Apparently but only if you have Office XP installed

Hkcmd is a hot key command for your display driver. It can be disabled in the display properties in control panel.
I forget exactly how it is phrased but I think theres a check box somewhere that says enable hot heys or something like that.

I do have office installed (So i should keep it enabled?). If ctrl-alt-f12 is the only thing hkcmd does (shows settings for something). Doesn't that make it pointless for the average user?

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

You need ctfmon.exe only, if you use more than one language in Office.
If you don't...

Download, and run CTFMON-Remover: http://www.gerhard-schlager.at/en/projects/ctfmonremover/
The CTFMON-Remover helps you removing the annoying CTFMON.EXE from your Windows operating system. The program is easy to use and displays whether the CTFMON.EXE is installed and running or not. If it was found then you can remove it within seconds. Just in case that you need the CTFMON sometime in the future there is also an option to restore the original one.
Note:The CTFMON.EXE is among other things responsible for changing the language schema of your keyboard (e.g. for switching between the German and English keyboard layout). So in case you are using this feature you shouldn't remove or disable the CTFMON.EXE!
NOTE. CTFMON.EXE is not a threat, but unnecessary startup, which can't be disabled in any other way.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users