Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard issue maybe?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Divii

Divii

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hello!
This is my first time posting on Bleeping Computer. I usually am able to fix the problem I have by just reading posts other people have solved, but I am stumped on this one, any help would be appreciated. Because this is my first time posting, and I have been working on this problem for a while (sleep deprivation) I apologize in advance for any mistakes in my post. Also, everything I know about computers is self taught. I know just enough to make bigger mistakes then an average user :thumbsup:

The Problem: Last night my boyfriends computer gave him a black screen in the middle of windows and suddenly restarted. Upon restart the computer shows a memory count, a windows loading screen, then goes black.

Computer Specs: (I built it this November)
MOBO: ASUS Maximus III Formula LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Video: ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

Points of interest:The Bios was always gave an error that the cpu fan wasn't spinning despite the fact that it was, but the computer ran fine so I ignored it.

My Solutions: 1. Because I could hear the hard drive spinning after the black screen I knew his computer was not locking up. He had recently had a bout with a virus and suspected that he never really got rid of it. I've read about virus and malware corrupting video drivers so I decided to try that first. I put his hard drive in my machine and scanned with malware bytes, avast in safe mode, and finally hijack this. I found several viruses and malware on his computer, and some malicous BHO. I removed all of these. However once the hard drive was in his machine again, the problem was the same.

2. I installed my hard drive into his machine to see if windows did a black screen after the loading screen and it did.

3. I put my video card in his machine to see if it's a video card issue, and his screen went blank after initial bios screen. Up until this point I could get the motherboard to post, now it no longer does.

Should I just buy another motherboard and write this off?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi Divii and welcome to the forum!

You sure write well! Very detailed!
2 hard drives are doing the same thing right?
Does the system stay powered up or does it turn off when the screen goes black?

Have you tried clearing CMOS yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Divii

Divii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:30 PM

Hello and thanks for the the quick reply!

You sure write well! Very detailed!

Thank you!

2 hard drives are doing the same thing right?

Yes they both show a black screen right after Windows 7 shows a loading screen :thumbsup:

Does the system stay powered up or does it turn off when the screen goes black?

It stays powered up, I can hear the computer respond when I ctrl+alt+del (via spinning hard drive)

Have you tried clearing CMOS yet?

No I haven't. I should have thought of that! I will try that now and give you an update.

I appreciate all your suggestions thank you so much!

#4 Divii

Divii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

I just cleared the CMOS battery. Unfortunately I cannot get into BIOS. If I enter the BIOS setup, I see a quick glimpse of it before the screen goes black. Also, I am no longer seeing a Windows loading screen before the screen goes black. I do however still hear the hard drive spinning as if it is loading Windows.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

Did you use the jumper to clear cmos or did you pull the battery out?

I'm afraid you may have a toasted motherboard. Im thinking that you may have always had issues with it because you said it always reported that the cpu fan was not spinning even though it was.
Were you experiencing any lockups?

Just for the heck of it, unplug it and pull the battery out. Let it sit over night

Be patient too. I would like to get feedback from others on this as well.

#6 Divii

Divii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

I pulled the battery out. Is that the wrong way to do it? (this is what I meant about bigger mistakes hehe!) If I toasted it I will chalk it up to another lesson learned.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

That was fine. I just wanted to know which way you did that.
Let it sit overnight unplugged and with the battery out.

BC has people from all over the world. Be patient and wait to see if anyone else has any other advice.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

You might also try taking all cards out of the system except video and reseating the memory

#9 Divii

Divii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

Thank you everyone who has made suggestions so far. I have an embarrassing end to this story. As it turns out the monitor was dying. For some reason it would only stay alive long enough to show the windows loading screen before it stop displaying images, which is why I thought it was a different issue. Thank you for taking the time to read my posts! I hope I can contribute some way to the BC community in return.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

That would have been WAYYY down on my troubleshooting list!

Glad you got it sorted though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users