Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free space being taken up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Domar

Domar

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hello, about a month ago, I started having a bit of trouble with some free space going missing, I figured that I was simply grabbing things and not understanding how large they were, after a while, it started getting more serious, not downloading anything and an entire gig going away in a day, and it kept speeding up, 1.5 in half a day, suddenly only having a couple of megs left, or simply 0 bytes, restarting my computer would often free up all of that space, though not always. I've run virus scans, windirstat, ccleaner, scandisk, none of it has fixed the problem, ccleaner gets rid of a few megs from internet cache and stuff, but not the several gigs that are dissapearing, I remembered combofix working well in the past, so I figured i'd grab it, but restarting my computer no longer frees up more than a couple of megs upon reboot, so it doesn't have the space to make one of its initialization file by the time I can run it, I suppose I could try to delete something, but i'd like to know from you guys, do you think this will free up the problem, or just do nothing like everything else has?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

How large is the hard drive?

How many partitions on the drive?

Size and free space for each?

Louis

#3 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

1 partition on the affected drive, 114 gigs of total size, approx. 3 gigs supposed to be free, but currently 0 bytes.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

You can use the following tool to see where your hard drive space is...WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2...4-10614593.html .

It goes without saying...you need to move a number of files (movies, etc.) to another drive or removeable media.

Louis

#5 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

I've used WinDirStat, as I said in my original post, it doesn't actually show where that space has gone, and unfortunately, all my other drives are full, including flash drives, with no money to grab more, but i'm working on it.

#6 Domar

Domar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

Ok, apparently, it found something this time, I still took your advice and ran WinDirStat, BitDefender, my antivirus, has been creating a load of folders under Common Files/BitDefender/BitDefender Threat Scanner, and hasn't been deleting them, upon a google search for the folder name, apparently they created a fix for this same problem that went out in march of 09, I dunno why it hasn't been deleting my old folders though.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

Well...when programs malperform, I assume that it's usually because they are either poorly written, have damaged files...or require an update of some sort.

The damaged files are more likely than the other two, my cure for such is uninstall, then reinstall the program with the problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users