Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop malware problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Starranger

Starranger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hello all,

I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this issue. My sister-in-law's Toshiba Satellite L355D has a series of Toshiba installed junk and possibly a malware infection as well. I have Malware bytes, Hijack This, GMER, DDS, and Combo Fix all downloaded to a flash drive so I can do whatever you suggest using these programs.

The symptoms are as follows: Something called Cyber Defender runs on startup and tries to get my sister in law to click on an installation link. Typical scareware. I tried to uninstall it through Control Panel and it seemed to uninstall but the program was back the next day. This program also tries to get the user into a forced internet chat session to allow the software company to try to talk the user into not removing it. I'm truly surprised that nobody has complained here about this program on this site but apparently nobody has as yet. Let me be the first because the forced chat is a slimy tactic, in my opinion.

Also, her ISP offer's her a free version of Norton Security Suite which naturally she wants to take advantage of. I installed it yesterday but when she booted her laptop this morning Norton was gone and McAfee was back in its place.

The biggest problem I have is that I have to get this laptop clean before Wednesday since I am leaving to return home then, so I really need some quick assistance.

Thanks.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2010 - 12:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genis200

genis200

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

You have a rogue anti-virus installed on your computer. A rogue anti-virus is a fake anti-virus software that claims to remove viruses from your computer, but in order to do this, you must pay for it. This lures you into paying for the product.

To remove this, please install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and select Run and Update. Then, run a full scan. Once you have done this, let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users