Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"System' spikes in Windows Task Manager; hogging CPU and freezing computer.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 JHWKS4ME

JHWKS4ME

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

Hello,

This may be the wrong forum to post my problem in...if so, please move it to the right forum and accept my apologies. I only put it here because I've had malware/virus problems in the past (that Bleeping Computer helped me solve) and so I wouldn't be surprised if this problem was being caused by one of these nasties.

Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have noticed large, random spikes in my "System" process in Windows Task Manager. It could be that I'm listening to iTunes, on the internet browsing or even doing some work in OpenOffice. A random spike will happen and freeze up my computer, sometimes causing me to end my program using Task Manager because my computer never unfreezes. Other times, it'll unfreeze (and the CPU level of the "System" process will drop back down to normal) after 20 seconds or a minute.

I understand that it sometimes spikes briefly when I open a new web page or program, but if I am simply reading an article online or listening to a song, it seems to me I shouldn't be getting these dabilitating "System" spikes. I googled this issue and none of the suggestions seemed to fit. One said to unplug my battery because that could be causing the problem. Didn't help. Another said that a bad driver or something of that sort could be causing the issue, but I have no idea how to fix that or even check for that.

Anyway, a few other, odd things have been happening, as well. Sometimes my mouse will lock up and then stop responding to me...or I will move it one direction and it goes back the other way. And my soundcard will stop working sometimes and I have to restart my computer to fix the problem. In addition, my computer went to standby on its own tonight without me doing anything and without it having reached the time limit that it goes on standby normally (aka, I stepped away from the screen for about 1 minute and when I came back, it went to standby with me watching).

Again, I know this is a lot of, probably, unrelated syptoms but I am trying to think of anything weird going on with my computer so that you can help me fix the problem. The "System" issue is especially frustrating because I can't read stuff or watch videos on the internet without multiple freezing and I can't listen to a song all the way thru in iTunes without it freezing either. Thanks in advance for your assitance.

Alex

P.S.-I have run scans using SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware recently and neither program picked up any viruses, etc. I am just still paranoid from my previous experience and wonder if the same nasties are causing these recent issues. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users