Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new build, horozontal red lines, screen fickers, crashes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Radula

Radula

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

Hello there, as this is my first post feel free to correct the location I have posted in or any other forum specific mistakes I have made.

But on to the problem, I recently built a system for a friend whos only intrest was watching movies and working with large files in photoshop CS5, he wanted to have a machine that would last for a while so i set about getting these parts together, please note that this fellow is uninterested in gaming.

intel i5-750 CPU
gigabyte GeForce 210 (pithy graphics card)
4Gb kit (2X2Gb) DDR3 2200 mhz G-skillz RAM
gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3P motherboard
2 TB WD HDD
600W HuntKey PSU

I built the machine with no trouble at all and after installing a brand new copy of windows 7 it had no problems, then after i finished installing a few drivers (mothorboard/graphics card) and restarted, it started showing horizontal red lines about 1 pixle wide across the screen along with single red pixles. the lines occur mostly when an image is on the screen and if a video is played the screen cuts out and seems to turn on and off. i rolled everything back, uninstalled all the drivers and such and still the problem remained. it even shows the red pixles and lines on the bios splash screen now.

so i changed out the video card for a known working ATI 4850, same problem, though now windows often wont even get past the loading screen, it just resets and loops. switched back the graphics cards and i could get back into windows. which seems to run fine for a while then the screen goes all screwed up slowly worse and worse untill the screen starts loosing signal intermittantly and then the machine crashes, which sounds like overheating, i have CUPID HWmonitor this states that the GPU is running at 36C while essentially idle. this could be a false reading but the card itself feels only slightly warm to the touch.

so i still had the same artifacts with 2 different video cards, but the system would only run properly on the 210. so i swapped out the ram, tried each chip individually, no difference. so i changed the PCIE slot, no change. the system seems to sit stabally while viewing text but as soon as pictures or video come up it crashes soon after, which is no good for a machine to be used for just these purposes. i have installed all the drivers that came with the video card and motherboard, and i have updated the drivers for the video card from the website with no change in symptoms, all bios settings are default.

before i start fiddling with voltages in the BIOS can anyone help with pinpointing if this is a conflict issue, or faulty hardware or something along those lines.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

After checking your motherboard's manufacturer site, it seems like all of your parts are compatible. However, I do recommend against using G.Skill RAM (mainly because of my bad experiences with G.Skill RAM). I would recommend something like Kingston or Corsair; although that shouldn't matter since 1. the RAM seems to be compatible and 2. you said you tried swapping this RAM for another stick.

With these things in mind, I would have to say it's something with your motherboard. Although I find it weird that the problem only appeared after you loaded drivers (yet the problem retained even outside of Windows). Your best bet may be to get an RMA and replace the motherboard.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

Sounds like the drivers you used are at fault. Either there is some driver conflict or the drivers are not for windows 7. Uninstall all of the drivers you installed and see if that helps. If it does download the latest and greatest from the web and try again.

As a side note swapping graphics cards in and out without uninstalling the drivers and associated software often causes many of the issues you saw when you attempted to do that. Stick with the new one and try to isolate the problem before attempting to change parts.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Radula

Radula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the input,
In future I'll avoid Gskill RAM but for the time being it doesn't seem to be the culprit, i managed to fix the error temporarily by doing a full sweep format and flush. i formatted all partitions (including the 100mb that windows set aside for system files) deleted and re made fresh partitions, then i re set and flashed the bios to F10 from F5, after this the pixel troubles dissipated. so i began reinstalling windows 7 only to have it fail to install as it would crash as soon as it began "starting services" then upon restart it had somehow resurrected the pixel error without any software installed at all. so i am drawn back to two conclusions, that it is indeed the motherboard that is failing or that the windows 7 installation is somehow corrupted. I will try all these steps again and install a known working XP, if this also carries the error I'll see about replacing the motherboard.

#5 Radula

Radula
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:01 PM

Ok now its getting a bit weird, i replaced my known working ATI graphics card back into my other computer and fired it up and now it seems to have transferred the error to another computer??
So id had the error in the new build, so i swapped out the graphics card to see if that was the problem, now the graphics card i used carries the same error back to my working system, have i somehow damaged the card in transfer? or is there a small amount of information written onto the card by the system that could be causing this? or has the faulty hardware of the new build damaged the working card? does anyone have any suggestions? i was static free and took care when changing over the parts.

or am i just loosing my mind?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users