Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution/color Settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

When I turned on my computer (Win98) this morning, it was in Safe Mode and the Display box read "There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware." I didn't know what the problem was, so I fumbled around with the color and resolution and restarted my computer. Now everything looks all fuzzy like in Safe Mode except there's more color. And there's a black border surrounding the screen.

How do I get the color and resolution back to normal and without the border? Right now it's at 640 by 480 pixels, 256 colors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:21 PM

Try running it at 800x600 to see if that helps. If not, it could be an issue with the refresh rate.

Also, are you getting this message anymore? -"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware."

Thanks,
JC

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:13 AM

Everything seems fine now, I changed it to True Color (32 bit), kept it at 640 by 480 pixels. I adjusted the border with the bottons on my monitor...but I don't know how it got there in the first place. I just logged on one morning and there it was.

I haven't gotten the error message again, but I got it a few times before this incident. I have no idea why.

#4 dooby69

dooby69

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

hello this topic interests me because this happens on a ferly average basis on my friends 98 (where i say ferly average maybe once or twice a month) it is an advent with a slot 1 pen 3 600mhz, graphics card ati rage 128 xpert, sound card is an aureal and 720 mb ram pc100 it also crashes alot blue screen etc and also fails to shut down properly also the clock runs out at first it was on pc133 ram and i thought it might be that so i put it on pc100 to match the fsb on the processor but the clock still runs out. when it was low on memory everest home edition said that the rage card was taking 64mb of ram it originally only came with 64mb so i had to sort that so i got it upto 720mb but still have the above problems starting in safe mode and saying adaptor is incorrect i then have to put it on i think it is 16 colours and save the settings this forces a restart and it doesn't shut down proper when it starts back up i can then get it to 600x800 and get it onto 32 bit true colour
i thought it might be the graphics card on its way out but i am not sure would like some advise before i source a graphics card because when it is working the graphics are good. when it does say the adapter type is wrong when booting up it also says sound blaster disabled cant remember exact line
1 last thing everest says the graphics should be running at 66mhz but they are running at 70 odd cant remember exact figure cos i am at home writing this. Is this why the clock runs out? but it does that automatically because i have had to wipe the hard drive recently because something happened making explorer.exe crash everytime loading up in safe or normal and no icons or taskbar loaded so i had to wipe and completely reinstall everything from scratch but it still ran at 70mhz sorry for the long winded type up just trying to give as much info as i can remember would appreciate any help thanks.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

dooby69,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help 2 or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to, different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered proper forum etiquette.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users