Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP start/all mprograms problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DonMatt

DonMatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi all. I'm ding some cleaning up on my sister's computer and found a problem I haven't come accross before. I click on start from the desktop, then when I click on "all programs' everything locks up and I get a couple of messages saying Windows Expler has encountered a problem and another saying Dr Watson Daignostics has encountered a promel Etc Send or don't send. I deal with those and have tried send and don't send. But the computer is still locked up. The only way out is to Ctrl-Alt-Del and use the shut down oir restart option. Mysister is not really computer literate and only b rings programs up from the desktop icons. I suspect that this problem has been there for a long timne as she says she nover clicks on "all programs" and didn't know what it did! I wonder of it could be a missing dll but of course I wouldn't know what dll is missing. Anybody got any ideas. Be grateful for some assistance. DonMatt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi DonMatt -
Do not click prograns , just click Start > Run Box then copy and paste this disk check code into the box -
Close all programs , including this one and click OK - It will restart the system in 30 seconds -
This will do a full 5 stage check and repair faults in the C drive - This can take 30-60 mins depending on your system, let it run -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

#3 DonMatt

DonMatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hi noknojon. Thaks for your suggestion. I tried that, but it still hasn't cured the problem. It looks like I might have to do a repair or re-install. My sister is not overly concerned as she only accesses the programmes she needs by from the icons on her desktop.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

Dr. Watson should reflect a .dmp file, so let's try the following.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt using Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users