Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone good with a RAIDSATA pci card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stroller

Stroller

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

Ok short to the details. First the hard ware:

Silicon Image SATA Link Sil 3114 ctu, 4 port.
What is says on the card is: CL-SL3114
What the new hardware wizard says: Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATARaid Controller
It came with a 3.5 inch CD that says Driver 6, USB nothing else.

System details: An older Dell Dimension 4550
2 Gigs RAM
Boot drive 60 gigs
OS--XP Pro
Pentium 4
IDE not SATA mother board and no idea what the mother board is.
Secondary interanl HD 500 gigis Wetern Digital.

Now for the story. I have another hard drive it is another Western Digital 500 gig and it was an external HD. That is untill the warranty ran out and the power/USB adapter failed and no more detection. This is a SATA drive hd, not IDE as mine are.

So with that to get access and use the HD again I went and bought the previously mentioned SATA card.

Here we go. Like I did with my Video card, Sound Card, Memory and other HD was open it up and plug them in, oh yeah a fire wire card too.

I put the card in and turned on my pc. Windows new hardware wizard detected the thing and yes the other HD was plugged in. It installed it. I watched the driver file names as they were installing. I went to check the "My Computer" to see if the other HD was detected, it wasn't.

So like an idiot that didn't know what he doing, I turned my pc off in hopes that the hd would be detected on boot up, there is stuff on this HD.

Well during the boot process the Dell Logo came up and went then I saw the RAID Controller and it said to hit "F4" or "CTRL-S". It stayed there for about 3 seconds and went blank. Then the Start Windows Normally came on. Well It must have found the other HD because windows did not load. So I shut it back down and when the chance came I choose "Start Windows from last known good configuration". It has worked fine every since.

Well I went into the devive manager and looked to see if the RAID Controller was listed, it was and no yellow Signs. So like an idiot I opened it and uninstalled it.

Now when I try to get it to load the drivers it goes through the motions, the window asks if the thing came with a CD to put it in now, it starts off with the magnifying lense, then I get 2 code messages. One is code 28, no driver found, the other is code 10, No Admin rights. I am this pc's admin.

The CD this card came with will not work in my CD drive, only in my DVD driver. I opened it and it has the Drivers for various operating systems and they are all zipped. They are the same ones I saw going when the New hardware wizard was operating.

I tried to format a floppy, ok several of them, however since they are as old as this pc is, none work. I have never even used my floppy drive. I checked on the net about the floppy disk and I found just about everything had to do with putting the driver on a floppy then to have it in the pc in order to install during boot process in the cards bios. I get the message that windows was unable to format every floppy I tried.

Info I have found says to go into the BIOS of the SATA card and set it up.

I have found screen shots of the controller panel for this thing and it looks rather plain, like the formatting window for the floppy disk. I think it also puts a desk top icon up by default, I am not sure.

So now the thing doesn't do anything, it shows during boot, but says no device found.

I do have the driver seperatly as well.

So can anyone please help me. I have never went into the bios of my pc so I wouldn't know what to do if I got it open.

I checked Silicon Images web site and they have a bunch of drivers, however as their web site says "They make the chip, not the product".

So again can anyone put directions on how to accomplish getting this thing to work to a novice computer idiot?

Thank you so very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

I have 3 controller cards with RAID/SATA capabilities...I sometimes get carried away with the urge to compare different manufacturers :thumbsup:. I've even had a Syba card :flowers:, although I chose to go with Promise and Highpoint cards.

First thing to remember...whoever made the card...has made drivers for it available at the respective website. But drivers are not the only thing needed, you also need to download any BIOS package that is available with the drivers.

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?pid=28

The controller card BIOS is what enables you to have the card recognize any drives attached...and it allows you to determine whether you run in RAID mode or not. It must be installed in Windows in the same manner that drivers/programs are and it will be visible briefly every time that you boot the system.

It's important because it's your only indication as to what drives are attached to and recognized by the controller card. You won't see the drives in Device Manager because they are not connected to the motherboard directly. But you will see the controller card reflected in Device Manager, along with everything else connected directly to the motherboard.

Sooo...it's just as important to install it as it is to install the controller card drivers.

After you install your card properly....you then have two BIOS screens that you can access. The main BIOS of the system, which will never reflect your drives connected to the card...and the BIOS of the card, which will show drives attached.

Your controller card BIOS should automatically detect any SATA drive attached...and reflect such as part of the boot process. The main BIOS screens will go first, followed by the controller card BIOS.

There should be no need to actually enter the BIOS screen of the controller card, unless you decide to set up a RAID. Not sure where you got your info from...but drives attached to controller cards...are just like drives attached to the motherboard, in one sense...there is no need to do anything special to set them up. They are detected by the device, in the same way that the motherboard detects drives connected. Of course, if there is a problem with a drive...they won't be detected and you will become aware of that.

So...install your controller card and attach the drives to it. Your drives won't be reflected in Windows...until you install the controller card BIOS and drivers and reboot Windows.

Once that is done, you should be ready to go :trumpet:.

The drivers for some cards include the BIOS already...what appears at the card manufacturer's website may be an update. So, although I would download such, I would only install the driver package...boot the system...and see if the controller card BIOS goes by before the XP logon/Welcome screen comes up.

Many drivers come in .zip packages and they include the drivers for that device and various operating systems. You need to unzip that file and extract the contents. Then you need to concern yourself only with the contents/folder which applies to XP Home/Pro/32-bit/X86. The labels change but they are all the same thing.

Typically, a package will have drivers for any O/S that the device will work with...but you only need the one which is indicated for X86 or XP or something analogous. The same drivers apply to XP Home and XP Pro...but not to XP64. There's probably at least one set of Vista drivers in that .zip file. Don't concern yourself with anything other than package for XP or X86 or XP32-bit...something like that.

What I always do...is create a folder for the correct drivers and name it after the card...and store it with all the other programs I keep file copies of. It prevents the possibility of installing the wrong drivers.

Once you have the drivers unzipped, extracted and separated from all the drivers you don't need...you can go to Device Manager and install the drivers for your controller card...or if the drivers include a SETUP or INSTALL file...just double-click that and it will happen.

After the drivers are installed...reboot the system...all should be golden:).

Louis

#3 Stroller

Stroller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thats the exact problem I am having, I can't install the thing.
I have been to Silicon Images web site as I said. I have the driver. I have the driver isolated and unzipped. I have the installation CD. Windows starts the wizard and goes through and gives me the error code "28". This shows in the failure window as Installation denied, no admin access. I am this pc's admin, logged in as admin.

You said install the card. Does that mean just plug it into the mother board, plug in the other hard drive and then boot up and let things install? That is exactly how I have this pc right now and the card driver does not install. I went to the "add new hard ware" to make it install. I chose browse to location of driver and pointed to it, still failure.

The information I posted as to this card is simply what it reads on the card, the CD, the Windows install wizard. I have no idea of who the maker is. I did not order it from New Egg or Tiger Direct, I bought it from a computer store, not Best Buy, maybe I should have.

In the driver un zipped area where I can see them, none have the ability to double click and launch.

The information I have found is just what I have found looking around the web. I do believe the only reason I would need to go into the cards BIOS is to set up the RAID function.

I must be missing something somewhere I am going to check in the hard ware manager and see if the card or hard drive is being detected there.

Please I would greatly appreciate additional guidance in doing this. I know that once the hard drive is detected I have go in and dis-allow it so my pc does not try to boot from it. I just need to get it to that point.

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:32 PM

I cannot explain it any simpler than I have.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users