Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall and other services won't start

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kikaman

kikaman

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

I had a pretty nasty rootkit problem. m0le helped me sort it out. Unfortunately, my computer has some hangover problems. I am running Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3. I'm not sure if this will work but here is the link to the malware topic m0le helped me with: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic321566-15.html

After trying several solutions that didn't fix the hangover problems, m0le suggested I post a new topic in this forum regarding my current problems.

Here's the problem

When I try to turn on my firewall I get a message that the windows firewall cannot be displayed b/c the associated service is not running. When I try to turn on the service I get a message stating that windows cannot start the windows firewall ICS services.

When I type in the command services.msc and open up the tab for firewall, it shows the firewall has stopped. When I try to start it I get the following message: Error 1068: the dependecy service or group failed to start.

When I select the dependencies tab, I get the following message: win 32: the executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

This issue seems to affect many services, like automatic update, windows time and quite a few others. For some I get the 1068 error and for others I get a 1083 error: the executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

Hi -
Have you recently run a diskcheck - Copy and paste this code into Start > Run Box - Close all open programs , including this one and click OK -
It will do full 5 stage check/repair on your system - It takes 30-60 mins depending on faults and your content -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This error (1068) is caused by one or more Windows services being disabled. To fix it, you will need to go to Start > Run, and enter "services.msc" (without quotes). Here, you will see a list of services, their description, and whether or not they are running. The most common services that give people this error message are the "Help and Support Service" (for launching Help), Windows Image Acquisition Service (for cameras and scanners), and the Print Spooler service (for printers). Some programs and drivers, such as for Lexmark printers, may also have services that need turned on. Right-click the service you need, select "Properties", and use the drop box to change its starup type from "Disabled" to "Automatic." You can also start the service here, or you can reboot your computer.
Also try to disable your printer and see if the result is the same -
The 1083 error is predominantly caused when you either try and update Windows from the Microsoft website or through Windows Update. The problem is caused by certain DLL files being unregistered on your system, which prevents the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) from connecting to the update server. This problem is actually very simple to fix, by following a simple set of steps to resolve the issue that causes it.
The 1083 error normally displays like this:
Error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service. (0x8007043B)
The best way to fix the problem is to first register the files that Windows requires when it is being updated, and then use a registry cleaner like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner (both free) to fix all the damaged and corrupt settings that often cause further issues to the update process.
Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 19 June 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

After a serious bout with malware...it's not unusual for XP to be damaged or malperform.

I would try a repair install of XP first...it's a quick, easy way to overcome all damaged/missing system files.

<<The best way to fix the problem is to first register the files that Windows requires when it is being updated, and then use a registry cleaner like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner (both free) to fix all the damaged and corrupt settings that often cause further issues to the update process.>>

This is not...good advice. BC officially never advocates the use of registry cleaners, primarily because they are like runaway trains that have been engineered by someone who thinks that life is static and that every system is the same, at all times. A registry cleaner assumes that what may have worked on System A back in 2005...is good for System Z in 2010, even though System A and System Z have different components, software, and the O/S itself is in different stages of security via critical updates.

Suffice it to say that "registry cleaners" are fool's gold for those who don't understand much about the systems they use. Primarily, they are marketing fodder for the unsuspecting.

Rather than give you the official pronouncement...I will ask that you read the following:

Why I donít use registry cleaners - http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

Should I Use A Registry Cleaner - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Louis

#4 kikaman

kikaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:55 PM

Given that I am somewhat of a novice, any suggestions on links or other resources I could follow to do a repair install of XP?

As I understand it, I would need to use the XP disk that came with my PC. In my case it includes service pack 1a. Would that mean my computer would need to get updates for service packs 2 and 3? Any potential issues with doing that?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:40 AM

The first thing that I would do...is to update your original installation CD...to include SP2 and SP3 (assuming that you have SP3 currently installed on your system). Doing this will not only facilitate any future install efforts, but it will also facilitate any repair efforts that might be made in the future using the sfc /scannow command. The sfc /scannow command is an alternative way of replacing missing/damaged system files.

This updating of the XP CD is what is known as slipstreaming. It's pretty easy and painless for any user with a MS Genuine XP CD that reflects SP1a or SP2.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

Once you have an updated XP install CD...the repair install effort is pretty easy.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#6 kikaman

kikaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thanks, unfortunately I have a Dell and it looks like the only disk I have is the Reinstallation CD w/ Windows XP Home Edition including SP 1a. Per the tutorial, it does not look like I can create the slipstream CD with an OEM CD.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Borrow/burn a copy...a MS Genuine XP CD from someone.

You will be able to use your license with that disk...to do the repair.

Louis

#8 kikaman

kikaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Thanks. I seem to be making some progress.

I am using nlite and when I select the service pack for integration I get a warning that states "previous hotfixes have been detected. you won't be able to Slipstream new hotfixes without first removing the previous ones from the installation. Do you want nlite to remove the previous hotfixes to enable proper slipstreaming?"

Is it ok to hit yes and proceed?

Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I would think so.

Louis

#10 kikaman

kikaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

Well I couldn't make a bootable disk so I ended up doing the repair install with my original dell disk -- no slipstreaming. Although the installation was a little hairy and it took a loooong time to get all the windows updates, the computer is certainly working better and my issues appear to be addressed (at least so far).

Thanks for your help and advice.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for providing us your resolution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users