Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

default email

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 olw

olw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

I purchased a new printer HP Photosmart c309a. It installed photosmart essentials 3.5. when I try to share a photo thru the software-it goes to office outlook.I have tried HP online help and no luck.I went to control panel-internet options and selected gmail but now get message in photo essentials-"there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fullfill message request.Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default email". would like forit to use gmail or if it cannot yahoo.I am new to bleepingcomputer and not very good using the computer.

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate Web Browsing/Email forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 19 June 2010 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

The software is looking for a stand alone email client which downloads the actual email to your computer. Yahoo and Gmail are web based and accessed through your browser and are left on the respective servers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:18 AM

Hi olw,

Please allow me to add a bit to Animal's good information. First, I think everything will be much clearer if you understand the difference between WebMail and Typical Email/using an Email Client. I found a nice article that defines the two--I suggest you read it carefully before reading any additional comments: http://www.basiccomputerinformation.ca/web...-email-clients/

Once you have read that you might realize that what you are wanting to do is share your photos with webmail. HP's program (which I also have installed, altho it is version 3.0 and I don't use it to share photos) will not allow you to do that. You have to use an email client. Under the Programs tab in Internet Options, you set which email client is the one you want to use to do that with--the default. You can't set it to use webmail (GMail, Yahoo, etc.) because that isn't an email client. You should have either Outlook or Outlook Express installed already, but I don't know if you have it set up yet or not. You might be able to configure your client to download from gmail, but this still won't accomplish what you want and in my opinion it is more trouble than it's worth.

It's also been my experience, and it's my considered opinion, that HP's software leaves much to be desired. They should stick with hardware. Just remember that just because you use their printer doesn't mean that you have to use their crappy software. There is other, better photo editing and sharing software out there. Since you are wanting to use GMail, I would suggest you switch to Picassa: http://picasa.google.com/

It is owned by Google, as is GMail--so there is a button in Picassa that allows you to send your Photos by GMail--or your email client if you prefer. I find Picassa much more user friendly as a whole, including their photo editing tools, which are pretty good.

All that being said, I want to suggest--make that I want to urge you, to not use email to share photos at all. Why? Because there are still people out there that have little choice but to use dialup internet service. If they also use an email client, then they have to download those large photo files and it ties up their client where they can't check their other email. It can also quickly max out their email storage space limits. Instead, consider using a photo sharing service, where you upload your photos to an album on a server and send links by email instead of the actual photo. The recipients can download any photos at their own convenience. HP's software provides such a service thru a third party (Snapfish), but again, they don't make it easy to use, at least initially. Here again, Picassa's Web Album is much easier to use. And it's all free unless you need more than 1 GB of storage for your photos.

Now it occurs to me that you may have tried to use HP's photo sharing/Snapfish service. If so, for the button to work, (you still have to use email to send a link to the web page where your photos are stored) it still has to know which email client to use. So if you still want to use HP, you need to find out which client you have installed, get it set up like you want it, then go back to Internet Options and under the programs tab select that client as your default.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 olw

olw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

thank you very much.I will go to the link you suggested and set up the acct. I did not realize uou needed to set up an acct with outlook.
Olw

#5 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

You're very welcome. If you have any other questions just holler. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools