Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: General Purpose Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 csebasti

csebasti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

My laptop is dieing a slow death, so I've been researching replacements. Its been over 3 years since I bought my current laptop and I have not kept up with processors, so I'm at a bit of a loss of where to start with all the options out there. My research has not helped out a lot, but I do have some general ideas.

Budget: Looking to not spend more than ~$800 but would prefer $400-$600 range

Primary uses: email, web browsing, watching streaming tv (hulu, CBS, NBC) and netflix

Software: The basic stuff. Word, Excel, Access, occasionally Photoshop but most photo editing will be done on desktop

Gaming: Nope

Multiple programs running? Yep. I frequently have up to 4 or 5 things running. But most often just a web browser and one other.

Storage: Not planning on storing much on the laptop

Screen Size: Looking for the 15.6" range

Wireless: Prefer 802.11n

Brands: Been looking mostly at Toshiba and ASUS, but open to others. ABSOLUTELY NO HP! I will not consider any HP regardless of how well it fits my needs. Long story...

I have a desktop that has all the storage needed is what I use when I need processing power. This new laptop doesn't need to be high end. I don't need a huge hard drive, lots of RAM, or super fast high end processor. I just want it to be sufficiently set up for web browsing, email, watching streaming tv and movies, and be ok at the occasional use of photoshop.

The lower end of my budget leaves me with Celeron, Pentium, Athlon processors and integrated video. Would this be sufficient for my needs? Or am I better off moving up to the upper end of my budget and looking for an i3 processor or equivalent? Or do I need to go i5? Should I be looking for dedicated video RAM?

So, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thank you for the help.

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Thu Win

Thu Win

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:07 AM

In my opinion, it is best to get a dedicated graphic cards as this will free up some memory from the RAM. Depending if you want a cheap computer or a computer for the longrun, I would say get a Core i5 (Formerly Core 2 Duo?) or at least a dual core or better processor. 4 GB or more of RAM is a must for the usuage of multiple apps. Get at least 4 GB for the comfortable running of Windows 7.

My Blog (http://tyw7.blogspot.com/) | Follow me on Twitter (@tyw77) | My YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/wikipedian7)

Do you have Norton products and is still within subscription? Then why not check if you can UPGRADE for free to the latest version! Visit http://www.norton.com/nuc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users