Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How long is the standard wait time to get help on the Malware Forum?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Harmon

Harmon

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi was just curious how long it usually takes to get help with Malware/ virus after you post. I posted a little over 2 days ago and have not received a response yet. I read in the instructions where you should not bump, so I havent posted anything other than the orginal inquiry for help.

Thanks,

Harmon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thank you for asking, and allowing us to address the issue.

Unfortunately with the ever emerging and shifting landscape of malware infections it is almost impossible to accurately predict how long it takes to get a repose to your specific malware issue.

While we understand your frustration at having to wait, please note that Bleeping Computer deals with several hundred requests for assistance such as yours on a daily basis. As a result, our backlog is quite large, as are other comparable sites that help members with malware issues. Athough our Malware Removal Team staff work on hundreds of requests each day, they are all volunteers who contribute to helping members as time permits. No one is paid by Bleeping Computer for their assistance to our members.

New and more devious malware infections are released almost daily. It then takes time for our Team to to investigate, analyze and test removal techniques before we can help members like yourself. Doing that means that we sacrifice speed of response for a quality response that will help remove the malware more effectively.

Further, our malware removal staff is comprised of team members with various levels of skill and expertise to deal with thousands of malware variants, some more complex than others. Although we try to take DDS/HJT logs in order (starting with the oldest), it is often the skill level of the particular helper and sometimes the operating system that dictates which logs get selected first. Some infections are more complicated than others and require a higher skill level to remove. Without that skill level attempted removal could result in disastrous results. In other instances, the helper may not be familiar with the operating system that you are using, since they use another. In either case, you wouldn't want someone to assist you who is not familiar with your issue and attempt to fix it, would you?

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible.

Thank you for understanding.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Harmon

Harmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:33 PM

Sure, I understand all of those things. Just wanted to kinda guage to make sure that my post wasnt accidently passed over or something of that sort. I will hang out and wait for that reply to come chiming in :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Harmon

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

It won't get overlooked as there is an automated queue page generated that lists open logs chronologically. Only staff and Malware Team have access to that tool. This helps assure us of not overlooking a post. It's also the reason we stress not bumping your post and changing your queue time stamp.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Harmon

Harmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

I am trying to be patient but it is going on 6 days with no response to my post. Is this standard? I don't want to be a complainer because I know this is handled by unpaid voulenteers, but this virus is causing major headaches for me. GRRRR!

Thanks much,

Harmon

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:09 PM

Unfortunately at the moment 6 days is the wait time due to the large number of topics. However, I would expect that someone will pick up your topic today.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Harmon

Harmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

YEA!! I have someone working with me now. THANK YOU.

#8 the2bachic

the2bachic

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

It won't get overlooked as there is an automated queue page generated that lists open logs chronologically. Only staff and Malware Team have access to that tool. This helps assure us of not overlooking a post. It's also the reason we stress not bumping your post and changing your queue time stamp.

Not trying to butt in here, but I am wondering about something that is related to this statement... I posted 7 days ago on the Malware forum. I don't know what "bumping" the post is, so I'm reasonably sure that I haven't done it. 113 views (only 1 of which was me checking to see if logs were downloaded), a few downloads of my logs, and no response. Does that mean that my particular problem is unanswerable thus far? Is there a cutoff time-frame on that when someone comes back and says "no one can answer this" or something like that? I'm a very patient person, and I am EXTREMELY GRATEFUL that knowledgeable people are willing to volunteer their time to help with the issues on these forums. However, I use this computer to do my job, and these two weeks are the most crucial of the entire school year for my job. If it is unanswerable, I'd like to know so that I can move forward with something else. Thanks in advance for the info on how it all works!

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

the2bachic,

It really is just that summer is upon us and the staff and malware removal team members are not always immediately available. This is the normal trend for summertime.

Bumping means simply making a reply to your own topic to get attention for it. Log topics are answered in the order that they are posted. Your topic should be picked up in the next couple of days. If someone saw that there was no hope for your computer they would have said so, they would not make you wait. I am sure someone will make a reply in the next couple of days. We do apologize for the wait but everyone is a volunteer and we can demand only what they are able to give :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 the2bachic

the2bachic

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Thank you so, so much for the info Pandy! I'm just learning how the forum works, to the point that when this all started I was so confused that I posted in the wrong topic. It was a bit overwhelming at first.

No need for apologies. My only concern was making sure that I understood the process. Again, my deepest thanks!

#11 caramelgrl

caramelgrl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

this lengthy wait is not helped any when NEWER posts for help get tended to BEFORE OLDER ONES........

:thumbsup:

#12 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,796 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

this lengthy wait is not helped any when NEWER posts for help get tended to BEFORE OLDER ONES........

:thumbsup:

Hi caramelgrl.

As was mentioned Above, while the team tries to do logs in a first come, first served order there are numerous other characteristics that factor into the equation as well. Experience of the helper in dealing with a certain infection and the operating system present are just two that get mentioned often.

I understand that, even knowing this, it likely remains frustrating for you. We do appreciate your patience and understanding, our volunteers are working as hard as they can to get to everyone.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#13 the2bachic

the2bachic

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:50 PM

caramelgrl,
I should have posted that someone started helping me just a few days later. I was also worried because it looked like most of the people who posted after me were getting help, but Blade is right - you have to wait on the right person for the job. As I get to better know the forums and the way they work, I am understanding more and more why things happen the way they do. You have to look at quality over quantity on this one. :thumbsup: Try not to get too frustrated. Help is on the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users