Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistent Browser Redirection & Inability to Access Windows Update.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 intarest

intarest

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

A short time ago (on another PC) I suffered the same difficulties that my son is now suffering on his laptop. Thankfully, a kind soul on the forum walked me through fixing the last series of difficulties, so I live in hopes of getting another dose of exceptional help & support.

Just before I start I should say that I regularly use both Superantispyware & MBAM, but neither of these tools have been able to identify or fix my latest problem. I also have HiJackThis installed, if somebody wants a log-file uploaded. I haven't followed the last series of advice I used the last time, as I realise that it can be dangerous using tools like ComboFix, without the assistance of a well-informed user.

So the problem. In simple terms I am suffering persistent browser re-directs, ie clicking on a link in a Google search fires up a series of spurious non-related pages. The second problem (which I also experienced previously) is that Windows Update no longer functions, ie you click to check for new updates, and after a while the window returns error number 80072EFE, saying that it cannot continue.

Any help & support would therefore be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Intarest.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Some staff members should show up shortly. Just be patient. These guys are the best, but a lot of people need help, so just be patient.
Remember to try to post as much info as possible. One way to make everything get done faster is to make a post telling the staff about your computer's hardware info, what operating system you use, what antivirus you use, and what the virus does and when it first showed up.

You have posted some good information already as well. Thank you for providing information.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

#3 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Many thanks for the feedback. I'm not in a desperate rush, because although it is very irritating, I don't believe it to be a "life-threatening condition". As I said before, I had exactly the same problem on my machine, about 3 to 4 months ago, and to be honest it's mainly the sheer irritation of having any search results re-directed which begins to wear you down. In the longer term it could of course become more challenging, as the blocked access to Windows Update will mean that the machine gets progressively out of date with patches & fixes.

In terms of the environment concerned, it's a relatively new Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium installed. For anti-virus control, it had AVG free edition, and as I said previously MBAM & Superantispyware are regularly updated and run. There is no "dodgy" software installed, to the best of my knowledge, and Window Update runs in automatic mode (until this problem), to keep things up to date. It also has an up to date installation of Spywareblaster installed, as I learned about that when I had my problems before. UAC is enabled.

The symptoms are :-

1) Cannot run Windows Update - returns an 80072EFE error, which could apparently be caused by just about anything !!

2) Persistent browser (Firefox) re-directs, when you click on the results from a Google search.

3) Oh, and following a little bit more local testing, I have also found that even trying to open a browser window to the Windows Update website is refused, ie the browser reports that it cannot open that domain etc. I tried that with Explorer as well, and got exactly the same problems.

Many thanks & best regards,

Intarest.

NB, for what it's worth, I do know how to get myself around the software / registry environment pretty well, ie I am not a "rank amateur".

#4 intarest

intarest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

Apologies but I am not being in any way impatient, but I just wondered whether my original request for assistance may have been accidentally overlooked. I realise that everyone out there is a volunteer, and that as such your time is extremely precious, but thought I would just pose the question.

Any advice / information / feedback would be very greatly appreciated, as my originally documented problems are still persisting.

Many thanks & best regards,

Intarest.

NB, have I posted my request in the correct forum of the site ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users