Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R-Studio recovering mpeg and jpg files but they are corrupt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mhoople

Mhoople

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

I mistakenly used Xxclone to copy my laptop drive onto a 2tb HDD. I thought it was making an image rather than make the external into the laptops drive. It erased 500gb of most videos,pictures likely many things I've forgotten. I bought R-Studio and after many days of scanning it "recovered" mpeg files that are much larger than the originals could have been. Maybe it's joining them together? I can't open them though with my usually reliable video programs vlcplayer and smplayer. I've found R-Studio pretty hard to understand but assuming I've gone about recovery in a correct way could someone recommend a way to repair these corrupt files. Thanks
ps Although I use XP it seems like this might be better off in another area?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

AFAIK...there is no such thing as "repairing" files obtained by using recovery software.

IMO, your best bet would be try a different recovery program...some are better than others.

Louis

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

I'm adding my tuppence worth, as I used R-Studio on a relative's battered drive, some time ago.

R-Studio can be very effective, but will only recover what it sees, (obviously) and, as Louis says, it cannot
help with the repair of files which have been corrupted and / or thoroughly overwritten.

I recall that it will put up filenames, even if they will not open, so you would at least have a clue as to the
files which you have lost. Surprisingly the freeware Recuva has sometimes been known to do a better job,
where a commercial program has not produced the required results.

Could be that Xxclone has just done too good a job in 'erasing'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users