Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIMP and malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 devildog2126

devildog2126

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

Does anyone know of any problems with downloading GIMP related to Malware or viruses. I downloaded GIMP a few weeks ago. I think my malware problem came from a site which I searched which was a GIMP tutorial site, not GIMP itself, but in searching here for "GIMP" many of the posts which came up were malware logs from people who picked up a problem. I uninstalled GIMP anyway.
Anyone know of a relation between GIMP and Malware or am I making a leap and assumption?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

I have not heard of such a relationship.

That being said. . . it's entirely possible that the site you mentioned was a compromised site that infected you, or was one designed to infect users by luring them there with a bogus (or legit) tutorial.

Hope that helps.

~Blade

Edited by Blade Zephon, 19 June 2010 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, it was probably a GIMP tutorial site. I've never run into problems with GIMP. Just go to http://www.gimp.org for the official releases, and its pretty much safe as anything else.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Best protection against "driveby" installs of malware from just visiting a site is Firefox browser with NoScript addon installed.
Protects the users in many other ways, too.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 denako

denako

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 21 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

Yeah, GIMP has never really been a software that causes problems. You are most likely dealing with a drive-by malware install from a website you visited recently, probably the tutorial site you mentioned.
http://randomforumtitle.com - Unofficial Deadmau5 Forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users