Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jagath

jagath

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:52 AM

Hi,

I have eneterd an entry into the HOSTS file as 127.0.0.1 test. When i ping test, for some reason the domain name is not resolved and i get the following message.

"Ping request could not find host test"

Can someone help me please

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:15 AM

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

This is a host file that many use (including me) and is offered for everyones use with regular updates and at the great cost of nothing.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

#3 jagath

jagath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

thanks alot Bud. Will take a look at the link you send.

The problem i am having is that the domain name is resolved from the DNS and not from the HOSTS file. I tried everything but it just seems like it is not picking up the HOSTS file. I even check the priority from the registry.

Thanks again
Jagath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users