Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ati radeon x300 se

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bignight2

bignight2

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hi I found one cap top is blown, I cannot find anything on google on this cap it says on top of it FZ59 470 16v, I am not sure what capacitor to replace it with, thanks for any answers, Brett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Better of replacing the card since it is way out dated and outgunned with the new stuff. Even a middle of the road new card would eat that one for breakfast....and still be hungry.

If you're insistant on replacing the blown part take the numbers you posted to a local electronics shop and they should be able to get the replacement part. Likely though there are other damaged parts as well that just are not physically apparent so take some time to test the varying parts before you waste your money or your time replacing one thing only to find the next one is bad...and the next one...and the next one......
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

Ok thanks for the reply, lol i did not no it was so outdated

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

You are looking for an electrolytic capacitor probably (it looks like a can). Somewhere on the blown cap will be a number followed by uF, and this number will probably be a 47 something such as 0.47uf or 470uf.

You need the exact same capacitance and the same or higher voltage rating. Beyond that I hope your de-soldering and soldering skills aren't too worn out because they pack them in tight.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

#5 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

You'll need to know the microfarads of the cap as bigalexe explained (almost always printed on the side of the cap), It's very do-able as I have replaced capacitors in video and mother boards myself. it takes some skill, a good solder remover and solder iron. You can go here to find the info you need to replace the cap and they also have a catalog you can order your caps from too
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=33

#6 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

ok thanks yea i bought a new card was cheap like 55 bucks gforce gg220 specs were better than one i bought years ago for $220 but dont notice a huge diff. anyhow i still want to fix other one, there were no numbers on side of other cap was all silver and only said fz59 470 16 volt, i heard by others them caps were bleep that started with fz

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

Purchase a 470uF 16V capacitor with a 105C operating temperature rating. As others have said, it may not be the only faulty component, but it won't be an expensive try. Remember that electrolytic capacitors have polarity, the new one must be soldered back with + and - same as the old one was.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

ahhhh ty on the +/-

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:51 PM

The 470 uF may also look like 470 ...they both mean the same thing

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

The 470 uF may also look like 470 ...they both mean the same thing

True - I usually don't bother going for the mu when typing, but it would be more accurate. :thumbsup:

#11 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

yea i figured pc was crashing/ going into safemode with no help but a manual restart do to card, let alone trying to get it to reboot new card doing similar actions , i wonder if psu is on the clitch also is there way to tell

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:37 AM

Substituting a known good PSU is the definitive test. A PSU can be tested for obvious faulty operation with a PSU tester or a digital voltmeter, or an internal inspection may also reveal visibly bad capacitors.

Having swapped an ATI card for nVidia, did you un-install the ATI drivers, Control Centre etc before fitting the GeForce & installing its drivers etc?

#13 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

yea i did uninstall them but was one left, but deleted that and did a update for the gforce and reinstalled that,,, ati uninstall tool in add remove says do you want to remove all and chipset, should i uninstall chipset too?

Edited by bignight2, 22 June 2010 - 05:51 PM.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,406 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

should i uninstall chipset too?

No, that suggests your motherboard support chipset is ATI. What is the model of the computer system or motherboard?

If you don't know any model information, System Information for Windows (SIW) should be able to discover it for you:

http://www.gtopala.com/

#15 bignight2

bignight2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

it is a emachine t6522

Motherboard Name MSI RS480M2/RX480M2 (MS-7093)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users