Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Driver Problem Resulting In Bsod!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave963

Dave963

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:03 AM

hi guys, i am stuck!

i am installing windows 98 on about 30 machines.

the windows installation went well and everything worked fine, until it came to installing the drivers. I installed the ethernet card and graphics card and it all went well. Then i installed the audio drivers (Realtek AC'97 (which are the right ones for the onboard sound . . .apparently!)) and now everytime i restart windows in normal mode i get a big fat BSOD saying:

"a fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:c0014fd0"

after that, i rebooted into safe mode and removed the drivers from the device manager. restarted again, and it was all working (apart from the sound obviously). but then it pops up saying "reinstalling drivers for Realtek AC'97 sound controller".

I DO NOT WANT THAT!!! it installs them, reboots and then blue screens again.

as 98 was before my time in the PC world, i am stuck as how to turn off 98's auto hardware detect.

any help would be gratefully recieved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:05 AM

You might try this:

Realtek problem solved

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:11 AM

if the problem is not solved, try disabling the onboard sound from the bios.
That will make sure windows doesnot detect your hardware at reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users