Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turbo C++ problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:34 AM

i m learning C++...plz tell me which environment to use..i m currently using turbo C++...its not at all gud and moreover it doesn't support string declaration.Is there an environment were i can learn ANCI C++.kindly help.i mean 2 say there must be better environments to learn C++...like i know telnet(or somthin lik dat),borland c++,etc...i just want 2 know which is the best for learning core C++...by the way i hav done C.

Edited by comet@earth, 19 June 2010 - 10:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:40 AM

1. That post is very difficult to understand. Is it really all that difficult to type out Standard English sentences?

2. Turbo C++ is a long unmaintained project. You'll be better off using one of the more recent compilers, such as Microsoft's Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition, which is free.

3. I've never heard of ANCI C++, but if you're talking about ANSI C++ then I'd recommend starting with a book. C++ is not an easy language to teach yourself using internet tutorials.

If you're just starting programming I'd recommend using a friendlier language such as C# or Java instead, unless you have a very specific reason to use C++.

Just my 2 cents,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

You can use CodeBlocks or CodeLite

Both are OpenSource!

#4 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

kindly help me

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

@comet@earth: We're trying, but we're unsure exactly what you need help with.
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Like Billy said, you should considehttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/style_images/bc/folder_editor_images/rte-image-button.pngr NOT messing with Turbo C++. As a programmer, I recommend Visual Studio 2010 Express (Download here).

As far as learning the language itself, there are many free online tutorials (Such as this one).

Fyi, Telnet isn't a programming language, nor is it a programming environment.

Edited by Mr.VisualBasic, 22 June 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

For learning just core C++, Visual Studio 2010 Express is an overkill. Why download 700MB ISO, burn it to CD, and then install .NET 4, MSSQL Server Express, and other garbage.? Just for learning core C++ ? It does not make sense to me.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

@Romeo29: It matters little what he uses so long as what he uses is *not* turbo C++. That compiler has not been supported in years and does not comply with the standard. Few libraries compile satisfactorily with it.

VC++ is easy to setup relative to the other major compilers, which is why I'd recommend it to beginners. 700MB isn't a big problem for most people.
Posted Image

#9 Mr.VisualBasic

Mr.VisualBasic

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

For learning just core C++, Visual Studio 2010 Express is an overkill. Why download 700MB ISO, burn it to CD, and then install .NET 4, MSSQL Server Express, and other garbage.? Just for learning core C++ ? It does not make sense to me.

I wouldn't consider VS C++ Express 2010 to be "overkill". The VC++ Express IDE is great for beginners, there's tons of documentation/tutorials that target it specifically, and for most computers today 700MB is a joke. I started programming in the Visual Studio IDE and I found the combined help of tutorials on the web along with the msdn library quite helpful.

So, for a beginner, I would definitely suggest Visual C++ Express 2010 OR 2008.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users