Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus/spyware/malware software recommendations.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Colma

Colma

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hey there bleepingcomputer community, I'm here asking for some recommendations of some good 100% free non trial version antivirus/spyware/malware software. I currently have "Bit Defender", "Malwarebytes", "ComboFix", and "SUPERAntiSpyware". I got a pretty bad virus yesterday from trying to find a House episode online. Worst virus I've ever had and all from visiting a site for like 2 seconds...

Anyways, I made a post yesterday of my problem, but I thought I resolved it, so I deleted the post. But this morning I found out, my computer is not completely clean. I did a full system scan with Bit Defender and it was successful at deleting a loooot of infections off my computer. Then I did a deep system scan with it and it found a few more infections and stuff but was unable to delete or remove those infections. Then I also scan with Malwarebytes, but every time I scan, it picks up exactly the same amount of infections after each scan, even if I scanned right after I just scanned (6). So I guess that means Malwarebytes is unable to delete those 6 infections. ComboFix was able to fix the big problem. The big problem was that when I logged in after restarting my computer, explorer.exe wouldnt be an active process, and if i tried to type it in new task, it wouldnt let it open which was because of the virus. So now I can use my computer normally thanks to ComboFix, but my computer is still infected and if i were to restart my computer, it would be the same situation when i logged in again, which means i would have to use ComboFix again to get my computer working which according to you guys, isn't safe because its so powerful. Basically what happens is: I open ComboFix and before any of the stages start, ComboFix comes up with a message saying "rootkit detected" and has to restart the computer. Then when it logs back in, it does the regular scan and then my explorer.exe is back and i can use my computer. Now you'd think that after that, the rootkit and virus were gone for good, but no. If i were to scan again with ComboFix, it would say rootkit detected again and do the same thing as before. Which means this virus must be healing itself or something. Its annoying.

So I'm trying to get some good programs to completely get my computer clean and working at full potential once again. My friend recommended to me "Spyware Doctor" and "Spyware S&D" or something like that. Are those good programs? Thanks in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

You should not be using combofix without guidance it can seriously wreck your system , also you are posting in the wrong section though you are looking for software you are obviously infected with some form of backdoor that has left your system open for more infections. You should not be visiting pirate sites to download free episodes of tv shows since they sites most likely have files that have been tampered with and you will most likely be infected again.

Edited by mute20, 19 June 2010 - 01:48 AM.

#3 Colma

Colma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

You should not be using combofix without guidance it can seriously wreck your system , also you are posting in the wrong section though you are looking for software you are obviously infected with some form of backdoor that has left your system open for more infections. You should not be visiting pirate sites to download free episodes of tv shows since they sites most likely have files that have been tampered with and you will most likely be infected again.

I don't use ComboFix unless I really have to, which, in that situation, I really had to. Also, I didn't "download" anything and wasn't planning to, I got the virus just by visiting the site for a few seconds. I think I deleted the virus and infections for the most part, but I'm still getting random pop ups that i never used to get before when I'm on the web. I scanned with "SUPERAntiSpyware" and it detected and deleted some things, but it didn't quite do the trick to make it so I don't get those random pop ups anymore.

I don't believe I'm in the wrong section. I plan to deal with these viruses and infections myself for a while and after I've tried everything I can think of and still have problems, then I'll post it here for some professional help. Thanks for your concern about the well being of my computer, but for now I just want some software recommendations, thanks.

#4 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hello,

Combofix is not a toy. If used the wrong way you could trash your computer. Please use only under direction of a Helper. If you decide to do so anyway, please do not blame BleepingComputer, Myself or ComboFix.If your still experiencing Malware problems please proceed to the following to receive help.

Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Edited by fireman4it, 20 June 2010 - 01:36 PM.

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:53 PM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users