Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get my administrator privileges back?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fantasy09

fantasy09

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

I don't have a virus anymore,but what it left in it's wake is what I'm having a small problem with. I was attacked by a virus called Smart Security,but I was helped greatly to fix all that recently here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/320798/smart-security-infection/ . So of course I thought I was fine,but today I tried to install a game that requires administrator privileges and I am an admin. However, it wouldn't let me with the error message administer is only authorized to install etc. I then tried to install it in three more admin accounts and the same error came up. That's the only problem I have with admin privileges though. Everything else a admin can do under a admin username I am allowed to. So what's wrong and how can I get all my admin privileges back so I can install what I want.

Edited by fantasy09, 19 June 2010 - 01:13 AM.
Correct link and move to XP forum from log forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

I would try creating a new account, and see if that issue still exists.

#3 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

That's the problem all my accounts are admin,but I can't install anything that needs admin privileges on them.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Did you create a new account? Your profiles could be damaged/corrupted.

#5 fantasy09

fantasy09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Yes,I created a new admin account and the exact same thing happens. Which is weird because in order to create other user accounts you must be an admin. So it recognizes that I am on some things,but if I want to install something it doesn't.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:58 PM

In all honesty pm the person that was helping you and have them reopen your malware thread. I think something is still messed up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users