Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Disabled

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 johnjagr

johnjagr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:22 AM

I use Norton Antivirus. I can still use the update feature and the full system scan, but my "Auto Protect" and "E-Mail Scanning" have been disabled, and I cannot reenable them. My microsoft firewall has also been disabled, and I can't seem to get it back either. My firewall has been down for quite some time, but I think Norton went down when I recently ran "Tuneup Utilities 2006". Any ideas on what I could do would be greatly appreciated.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:13 AM

I had this problem (long ago) with Norton. It required a complete removal and reinstallation in order to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:33 AM

John:

Read this from Symantec on Norton AntiVirus and see if any of this may help.

Symantec

Read everything, as it gives you a direct link for Symantec to scan your computer etc. It will also give you instructions how to correctly uninstall/install NAV, if necessary. Hope this will give you a start.

Barb

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:43 AM

Rather than attempt to fix the Windows firewall, you should install another that will scan BOTH incomming AND outgoing packets. Either Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal Firewall will provide you more complete protection. Using the Net without a firewall is extremely dangerous.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:32 PM

Rather than attempt to fix the Windows firewall, you should install another that will scan BOTH incomming AND outgoing packets. Either Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal Firewall will provide you more complete protection. Using the Net without a firewall is extremely dangerous.
Regards,
John

Good point jgweed. I should have told him that. Thanks for posting it for him.

Here are links for them at MajorGeeks:

Sygate

Zone Alarm

Both are FREE

Barb

#6 johnjagr

johnjagr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 02:51 AM

John:

Symantec

Read everything, as it gives you a direct link for Symantec to scan your computer etc. It will also give you instructions how to correctly uninstall/install NAV, if necessary. Hope this will give you a start.

Barb

#7 johnjagr

johnjagr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:12 PM

John:

Symantec

Barb

Barb, thanks for the advice. I think you inadvertently got me to the root of all my problems. I used the Norton link you provided, and they suggested before doing anything to go to Start then Run and type in "temp" and delete everything in there. There were 13 entries which could not be deleted. I got a message saying "ACCESS DENIED", so now I have to figure out how to access and delete these files. I also took your suggestion on the firewall. Once again thanks for the help!

John

#8 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:57 PM

Try deleting them from safe mode
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#9 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:10 PM

John:

Symantec

Barb

Barb, thanks for the advice. I think you inadvertently got me to the root of all my problems. I used the Norton link you provided, and they suggested before doing anything to go to Start then Run and type in "temp" and delete everything in there. There were 13 entries which could not be deleted. I got a message saying "ACCESS DENIED", so now I have to figure out how to access and delete these files. I also took your suggestion on the firewall. Once again thanks for the help!

John

John:

Here is that link again. I clicked on my own link I gave you and that was not the document I originally gave you. I don't know what happened. It should be doc# 2003091710234206 dated 10/7/05 title says "Auto Protect displays OFF and email scanning displays error"

Symantec-Auto Protect

Barb

#10 johnjagr

johnjagr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:30 AM

Barb, Good news! I folowed your new link, and got Norton back to normal. Now I just have to find a way to eliminate smitfraud-c.

Thanks for the help,

John

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:28 AM

There is a self-help guide to removing Smitfraud on the BC forums:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/17258/how-to-remove-the-smitfraud-generic-zlob-quicknavigate-virtual-maid/

Regards,
John

PS, if you use the reply options at the BOTTOM of the post, you avoid quoting within quoting within quoting (replying with quotation isn't all that necessary in a short thread like this one).
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Barb, Good news! I folowed your new link, and got Norton back to normal. Now I just have to find a way to eliminate smitfraud-c.

Thanks for the help,

John

John:

You're welcome.

jgweed:

Thanks, did not know that about the quotes.

Barb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users