Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Virus -- Please don't blame the keyboard

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 cudspan

cudspan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi all...

I've been searching everywhere, and all I can find are ancient virus entries, or experts claiming the user is too dumb to try a new keyboard. A youngster complained about his machine not behaving right -- opening windows randomly, etc. We assumed operator error. Finally, he couldn't start up -- on startup the key buffer overloaded and beeped continually. After starting in safe mode, certain keys wouldn't work -- H, J, K, for example. Youngster had a big homework assignment, it looked like a keyboard problem, we let him use one of the adult machines to edit his file.

It was a laptop machine -- I pulled the keyboard, and tried his brother's keyboard. That other keyboard works fine. So far this sounds exactly like a keyboard problem. No worries, order a new keyboard, and forget about it.

2 or 3 days later, the adult machine overloads the keyboard buffer and beeps on startup. We have to go into safe mode just to start it up. And guess which keys don't work? The same ones. Youth computer is a Toshiba, adult computer is a Dell. The odds of the same keyboard failure on two machines seem astronomical to me. Since a file went from machine A into machine B, I suspect a virus. We are scared to start the Dell on our network, and certainly don't want to transfer files. But we have to get some files off that machine.

Toshiba runs Vista, and Dell runs XP.

If I plug in a USB keyboard, all the keys work. Startup still beeps. If I disconnect the laptop keyboard from the Toshiba (haven't tried it on the Dell), it starts up without the beeps. This is after we reinstalled Vista from the HD recovery partition. It could be that this is something resident in memory, that somehow gets the keyboard address when if first installs??? And so a USB keyboard will still work???

Also, we did reinstall Vista on the Toshiba, and it did not eradicate the problem.

I can't find any acknowledgment anywhere that this is or could be a virus, and none of the anti-virus houses seem to mention it. I can't see any description of how to get rid of this.

Please, I can't believe this is a faulty keyboard -- the coincidence is too much. Does *anybody* have any recent experience with such a virus? We're talking June, 2010.

Thanks much...

cud

Edited by cudspan, 18 June 2010 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users