Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not boot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 polomaan

polomaan

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

I have viruses/malware on the HDD. So, I try running superantispyware and it finds a bunch of stuff and before the scan is over my comp goes to the blue screen of death. I tried this multiple times but the same thing kept happening. So, I try to boot in safe mode from the SAS boot program. my computer doesn't boot at all (blank screen). Then I try to boot into safe mode using the option in msconfig. Now my computer will not boot into anything, or if it is I can't see because the screen is blank.

This is not fun. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

It's been reported...help should be arriving, please be patient smile.gif.

Louis

#3 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thanks. I'll keep checking

#4 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hi polomaan,

Welcome to our forum. I am going to assist you with your problem.

Please refrain from making any changes to your system (scanning or running other tools, updating Windows, installing applications, removing files, etc.) from now on as it might interfere with our fixes. Please let me know in your next reply if you agree with this.

Please tell me if you have a Windows installation CD.

#5 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

yes, the original one that came with the computer.

#6 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Good. thumbup2.gif

We need to boot to the Recovery console.

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
  • Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
  • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
  • When you get "Press any key to boot from CD…" press a key.
    Note: In case you did not get this screen your computer is not set to boot from CD-ROM and you should change the BIOS set up as describe How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter. If you do not know your password then see this.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

Tell me if you get there.

#7 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

•Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
-Did this.

•Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
-did this and the same thing happens. nothing on monitor. not even a signal.

•When you get "Press any key to boot from CD…" press a key.
-same thing.

Note: In case you did not get this screen your computer is not set to boot from CD-ROM and you should change the BIOS set up as describe How to Set BIOS to Boot from CDROM
-that may be the case, but i can't see the screen.

I have checked all connections, used different cords and even different monitors...

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

When you start the computer (without CD) what do you see? Tell me exactly what do you see on the screen.

#9 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

the screen is blank. then if i press the auto source button on the monitor, it tells me to check the signal cable. it's like the video card isn't putting anything out...

#10 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

So when you start the computer and do nothing you get a blank screen, no writing on it.?

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Did you get my PM. When we are both on line you have to refresh this page by pressing F5 to see my reply. If you sit there and wait nothing happens unless you refresh the page.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hi while you are off I haved moved this to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum. This is where it will stay,

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(farbar @ Jun 18 2010, 05:25 PM) View Post
So when you start the computer and do nothing you get a blank screen, no writing on it.?

Yes. That is correct.

Even if there was a way to just wipe everything that would be fine with me. I have the cd's and there is nothing i need to save on the compouter.

P.S. sorry for just leaving last night. I should have mentioned that I was not going to be checking for the rest of the night.

Edited by polomaan, 19 June 2010 - 03:15 PM.

#14 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,708 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

It means either that monitor doesn't work or the BIOS doesn't load and we have to determine that.
When you start the computer does the monitor lid/lamp becomes green or it remains yellow ?

#15 polomaan

polomaan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I don't have a light that turns yellow or green. But I believe I understand what you are getting at. I have a blue light that will stay solid when the display is receiving a proper input and the screen is working. Since the display is not showing anything, the light is flashing blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users