Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Tab Disappeared!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtbieberich

jtbieberich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

dell latitude pc laptop
-windows xp
-d-link pci wireless card
-possible virus

D-link wireless-b router
-di 614+ (i think)

My roomate's dell latitude pc laptop had been blue screening several times this past weekend. I told him he had a virus, but he doesn't have restore disks for his laptop so he might have trouble completely getting rid of it. That's only part of the problem.

I live in a college neighborhood just off campus, so I found out we had some neighbors freeloading off of our wireless network. I decided to set a password and everyone got on fine, except the dell laptop. When we typed in the password in the add network screen, it would act like it accepted it, and then do nothing. No networks were found when we clicked "view wireless networks". When I clicked on the properties of the wireless network under network connections, the wireless tab had disappeared within that next screen. There are usually 3 tabs when you open up the properties window for wireless network, and the wireless tab is where you can add a network, set the password, configure, etc. I told him this is probably an issue with the virus since it didn't happen on 5 other computers. He blames me even though it wasn't my fault, so out of the guilt trip I'm trying to fix this for him.

The next day, I disabled the WEP on the router and it was back to the way it was before. His computer should pick it up up right? Wrong, the wireless tab was still missing and no wireless networks were available. The card was working fine and we tested it on two other laptops.

How do I bring this wireless tab back in the properties window? I tried it in safe mode with networking, and also used windows restore function which did nothing. Am I SOL because of the virus, or is there a way to get that tab to reappear without reinstalling windows? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

you should be using the utility that came with the wireless card. windows has had trouble connecting to wireless networks, especially if it is not service pack 2. that also may be wht windows is not picking up your wireless signal, you could have the utility overriding it, in this case windows wireless networks will display no signal. you should configure your utility with whatever encryption you are using. you should also run an updated virus scan on your lap.if that stilol dosent work, uninstall the wireless card in "add remove programs" within control panel, then reboot your computer and re-install the software and drivers for the wireless card.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 13 October 2005 - 02:42 AM

Also make sure that the windows zero wireless configuration services is started.

To check that goto "Start", "Run" and type in "Services.msc" (without the qoutes)
just right-click and chose the "Start" option
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users