Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JAVA stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JTB

JTB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

I am using Windows XP Media version. I have several versions of JAVA JRE 6U (6U-4, 6U-6, 6U-13, and 6U-18) installed on my PC (HP Pavillion 1320Y). I am not not sure what various applications are using JAVA. But one is Scottrade. Scottrade has a streaming quotes trading page. I log into Scottrade and click on streaming quotes. A session page comes up. Then an applet is downloaded which brings up various trading info. This has always worked fine. But, it just stopped working. I logged on to Scottrade and then went to streaming quotes. When I was done, I logged out. I came back later and logged in to Scottrade again. I clicked on streaming quotes. The session page came up, but then nothing happened. I went to java.com and found an update (JRE 6U-20). I downloaded it and ran it to install the updated version. During the installation process, I get a message "Installation failed. Wizard was interrupted". There is no error code. I have tried many things to fix the problem, but nothing works. This is what I have tried:
1). I tried restoring the system to a time prior to experiencing the problem. I logged into Scottrade and tried to access streaming quotes. I get the session page, nothing happens.
2). I tried downloading the manual installation version of JRE 6U-20's installation file. Then I closed all the browsers, as instructed. When I run the installation program, it stops at the same place, with the same message.
3) I tried uninstalling previous versions of JAVA. I was able to uninstall the earlier ones, but I couldn't uninstall the latest version I had installed (6U-18).
4) I tried installing the manual version in "Safe Mode". That didn't work. But that may be a different probem. There I get a message that says "The administrator does not allow this kind of installation".
I'm not sure what that is all about. I'm the Administrator and I have not instituted any restrictions. No one else uses my computer.
5) I ran a compete virus scan and verified I have no viruses.
Any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

You only need one version, Java™ 6 Update 20.

I've just updated by clicking on 'Update/update now' in the Java Control panel and choosing 'Install' from the box which came up.

It replaced my earlier version 18, automatically.

Can you get to the stage where you just have ver 18 installed and then try again, through the Control Panel.

I'm assuming Windows Media is laid out the same as XP Home.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_java.xml

If the normal uninstallation process fails, then please try Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. This tool will ensure that all irrelevant Java Runtime Environment Microsoft Installer (msi) registries are removed. Detailed information and download is available at: Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Removal instructions:

* Download the Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility file and save it on your desktop
* Double click on executable file. The installation process will start. Follow the instructions accordingly
* Once installation process is over, go to Start -> All Programs -> Run Windows Install Clean Up utility
* This will launch the Windows Installer Clean Up utility dialog box
* Under the Installed products list, select the desired Java version that you want to remove
* Click Remove and Exit

Microsoft Installer Clean Up utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;290301
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 JTB

JTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Thank you petewills and buddy215 for your help. I did download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and was able to uninstall earlier versions of JRE 6U (with the exception of version 6U-18). I left that installed to see if I could use "Update/update now". That process disclosed what may be the problem. When I tried to open Java in the Control Panel, I got a message "Couldn't find the main class: com.sun.deploy.panel.controlpanel". I have no idea what this means. Somewhere along the way, I may have screwed something up. I'll keep muddling along.
I'm sure I didn't do anything to cause the initial problem. I was logged into Scottrade and the application was working fine. I logged out. I closed the session page in Scottrade (which controls the 4 or 5 sub applications associated with Scottrade's streaming quotes). When I logged back into Scottrade, I opened the session page which normally opens the sub applications. They didn't open.
Everything else seems to be working normally with my PC, except I notice that I am sometimes getting small boxes with red "X" s in them in place of a picture or other image. I'm thinking I may have to reformat my hard drive and go back to the origional configuration. Something may be srewed up or missing.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

Have you tried this cleanup tool, JavaRa.

"Update the Java JRE and remove old versions of the JRE at the click of a button"

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...us/JavaRa.shtml

May be worth a shot - works for some. :thumbsup:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:14 AM

You should go ahead and remove the last Java program and then go to the link below to get
the latest JRE.
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

It would also be a good idea to run a scan for malware. Use one or both of the free programs in links below.
Post the logs from the program(s) if they find anything other than ad (third party) cookies.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 JTB

JTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thank you both, buddy215 and petewills. I tried most of what you guys suggested, one at a time. I couldn't repeat my trail if I tried. But the answer seems to be "you have to remove all traces of previous versions of JRE before you can install the latest version.
I was able to uninstall earlier versions thru my computer control panel, except for jre6-u18. THis was the latest version I had installed. Update 20 is the most current version. For whatever, reason I could not install version 20 as long as 18 was still on my computer. Apparantly version 18 stopped working for my Scottrade application.
I downloaded Windows Installer Cleanup Utility as suggested. I finally used that utility to remove update 18. Then I downloaded update 20 and installed it. Everything went smoothly and java is working in my Scottrade application.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,304 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:44 AM

Good!
I still suggest you run a scan for malware. Something caused the corruption. Either "stuff happens" or as we see
here most often it's malware. All of Adobe products and Java were recently updated because of security vulnerabilities.

Secunia online scanner does a great job of checking ALL of your programs for missing security updates. Suggest using
that, too.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

Regular cleaning of your computer will improve its performance.
Ccleaner does a good job of that. Just avoid using the registry cleaning tool. No need for that and it could cause problems.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users