Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted software or virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RJOpal

RJOpal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

My PC crashed a few weeks ago, kept showing the BSoD as explained here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323469/bsod-error-0x00000073/ but that's now fixed. I cleaned my PC out, leaving it only with the most basic software. When I tried installing CCleaner and ATF Cleaner from the setup files I downloaded a few months ago neither worked. They worked perfectly before the crash. CCleaner would open for a second or two before automatically shutting down; I checked the folder in Program Files (C: drive), and a lot of files were missing, even if I re-installed it. ATF Cleaner wouldn't even open.

When I tried to check with an anti-virus software, I realised I had removed it as well, so I installed an old version of Symantec Antivirus I had from before. It went crazy on me and every time I right-clicked or pressed 'Delete' an installation screen would pop up. I deleted its folder from the C: drive, and it seems to be almost fully gone.

Installing a software like WM Converter worked the first time, but then it kept saying it's corrupted and won't open. Other software like Trojan Remover and HijackThis seems to be working fine.

So... what do I do? I don't have any anti-virus software installed at the moment; which one do you recommend I use?

Thank you!
RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users