Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My control keys don't work and I tried everything already

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PleaseFixMyComputer

PleaseFixMyComputer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

A while ago my control keys kept dying. I would restart and they would work again. Then restart stopped working and they would just start working for no reason. Then it stopped working again and I found online to try CTRL + ALT + FN or something like that which worked. Then of course they died again. And I couldn't get them to work no matter what I did. On Screen Keyboard didn't work either, so assumed it must be a software problem. I tried reinstalling keyboard driver. Didn't work. I tried wiping the PC to kill any virus, didn't work. I also tried plugging in another keyboard and its control key didn't work either.

So I now have a keyboard with no virus (because of wipe), correct software (wipe), no hardware problem (other keyboard didn't work and on screen didn't work).

So what is left? I have no idea what could be causing this.

Also my PC is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9337 laptop. And yes I am aware this computer is a huge piece of bleep.

Edited by PleaseFixMyComputer, 18 June 2010 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jbokh

jbokh

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Very strange... First thing I would do is run the keyboard test it with Quick Tech - I'm sure if you have access to that you would have used it already, but maybe you have a techy friend who can run a copy for you. Since thats probably not an option, you could try booting into Ubuntu or something such as Hirens Boot CD and see if the issue is the same in either of those. Perhaps there is a setting in the BIOS or the BIOS could be updated to fix the issue?

Not sure what you meant by ctrl alt FN fixing the issue. I would personally go as far as removing the keyboard completely and trying a USB keyboard again - perhaps yours is bad to the point its making the USB one not work. Thats all I could come up with, hope something here helps you out.

#3 PleaseFixMyComputer

PleaseFixMyComputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I removed my keyboard from my laptop and cleaned it out and removed the control keys and cleaned under them and when I hooked it back up they worked again. For a few hours and now they don't work again. What the hell is wrong with this piece of bleep Toshiba laptop?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users