Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes on XP start up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 circuitfox

circuitfox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

I have an AMD processor on a NVIDIA mother board. Just a few days ago we lost power overnight, and in the morning when I tried to start up my computer it made it to the Windows XP splash screen and then shut itself down. I tried several more times to reboot the computer, and it did the same thing. On occasion it will make it just past the splash screen and the desktop background will appear, but then again it shuts itself down.

I replaced the hard drive and tried reloading windows onto the new hard drive. The OS seemed to load just fine and I made it all the way through the install process, but then the computer once again shut itself down at, or just after, the splash screen.

I have the computer protected by a surge protector with a 900 Joules, 1875W rating. The breaker in the surge protector didn't switch, so I don't believe there was damage coming in on the power line that caused the problem.

Additionally I inherited a Toshiba laptop exhibiting the same problem. It boots up to the XP start up screen, and crashes. I would really like to be able to use both of these computers, but short of shotgunning components I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

What media was used to install XP on the new hard drive?

The hard drive is not the only component...that can cause a system not to boot. IMO, the power supply is a more likely candidate for many.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users