Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This is ridiculous!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Hi, as a military/political affairs nut, I do a lot of posting around internet forums devoted to the subject, often including pictures in my posts.
The Ku Klux Klan recently came up for discussion, so I posted (via host Imageshack) a pic of a hooded Klan member to accompany my post.
But within half an hour Imageshack had deleted the pic for "Violation"!
Either they deleted it on their own initiative, or somebody out there in internetland complained to get it pulled.
Either way, it seems a bit nazi to censor history like that.
I know Photobucket also delete "questionable" pics too, so my question is this-
Can anybody recommend a sensible image hosting site that NEVER deletes pics of any kind?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:34 PM

Well, it was likely flagged as offensive. Yes, it is history, but that doesn't mean people want to see it on a forum.

Tinypic.com has these terms (things you can't upload):

8.1 ...or promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;

There are plenty file hosting sites that never look at what is uploaded. I don't use any, so I can't recommend a specific one.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 18 June 2010 - 12:34 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Due to our highly litigious society and zeal for political correctness in any direction. It is unlikely that you will find a site that doesn't have a disclaimer to authorize them to remove content. With people willing to slap a lawsuit for any reason, no one wants to risk losing their business over an image. No matter what 'category' it may fall into. Beauty, Bigotry, Hate, Brilliance and Awe (and many other lawsuit worthy adjectives) in an image are all in the eyes of the beholder and the tenacity of their lawyers.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:54 AM

Yes it's a crazy world, for example we can't post a pic of a Klansman or a Nazi or a terrorist etc even if it's purely to discuss how evil they are and/or poke fun at them, so in that sense pol-correctness is backfiring on those who want such pics banned!
Needless to say, you can go in any bookshop and you'll see loads of books about the Klan and the Third Reich and other nasty regimes, and buy historical DVD's with nothing deleted, and that's how it should be because history is Truth.
"No lie comes from the truth"- 1 John 2:21
Ironically, once anybody starts trying to censor out bits of history, not only are they technically liars and "history abusers", but they're acting like nazis themselves..:thumbsup:

#5 Rorshack

Rorshack

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

imgur

Best photo uploading site ever.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact their terms of service allow them to remove content at their discretion. This is the issue at hand.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

To put it simple. There are many subjects and or pictures in history that a web site can't take a chance posting because all the lawyers come out of the wood work. They call these many times class action. This can cost a web site millions in legal fees even if they win. They don't want to play the game of political correctness what every direction it might go.

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

So is this a niche then to provide a no-strings image hosting service? You can pay me later for the free consultation :thumbsup:

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

Incidentally I posted a picture of a shot-down German bomber not so long ago in a forum discussion about the Battle of Britain, but Photobucket deleted it for "Violation", presumably because it had a swastika on the tail, how bloody silly!
I complained to Pbucket and got it reinstated, so at least we have the right of appeal.
Obviously the PB bosses decided their politically-correct moderator who pulled the pic was a little over-zealous so they overuled him/her.

PS- To add insult to injury I'm a paying Pro member of PB.
I think I'll start trying free ones like Imgur..;)
Thanks

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 03 July 2010 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users